GE Weathertron Problem

Old 05-12-21, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE Weathertron Problem

We have an old GE Weathertron Heat Pump (installed 1985). Model BWR730A700B0 with Trane BW-748A100A1 Control Unit and Stat Bay28X139/141, switches in Heat, Auto and Normal. Aux Heat Blue light On. The unit has worked flawlessly for all these years. Lately the system has not been heating properly. The compressor and fan unit turn on when heat is requested. System never heats correctly, more like luke warm, for some time and then the compressor appears to shutdown (my ears are not what they used to be). Fan continues to run. I have had a tech who fully re gassed the system, as according to him it needed more gas but he could not find any leaks.
This did not make any difference even when switching to Emergency Heat. Also in Cool Mode, it behaved the same, pumping just cool air. Tech did not come back.

We are just wandering if it is the compressor that is causing the problem or something else. We had a good look at the MS Compressor Motor Contactor and other relays and all contacts seemed to be clean and in good condition.

Your assistance in this matter is most appreciated.

Old 05-13-21, 12:06 PM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
If you had a tech recharge the system, it’s probably low on refrigerant again and the compressor is shutting off on thermal overload. The compressor motor is cooled with refrigerant vapor, and when the system is low on charge there’s inadequate refrigerant returning to keep the compressor cool.
If it needed charged, you have a leak. Refrigerant isn’t consumed while the system runs. It’s a sealed system.

4thrs voted this post useful.
Old 05-13-21, 04:55 PM
Thank you for your reply. Tech assured me there is no leak after the recharge, he ran pressure tests.before and after.. Hard to get good help who are still familiar with Weathertron..

Old 05-13-21, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Most Weathertrons are out of service now due to their age.

Tech assured me there is no leak after the recharge,
Sure.... take your money and go.
There had to be a leak to require a recharge unless he recharged and added leak stop.

Old 05-13-21, 06:16 PM
R
The techs leak check was comparing refrigerant pressure before and after the recharge?
If that’s accurate, the tech was highly confused. Refrigerant pressure is highly affected by temperature.
If he wanted to do a pressure leak check he would have had to reclaim the charge and use nitrogen.
Or leave the system charged and use an electronic leak detector or soap bubbles.
Your likely low on charge again due to a leak.
I wouldn’t suggest spending a ton of money on that unit.

Old 05-13-21, 11:12 PM
Thank you for your both replies. Tech sure took my money and went!
Tech did use nitrogen for his tests. But came to a conclusion that due to its age, tracing a small leak will not be easy. I had a look inside the unit at the plumbing side of things and the leak could be anywhere..

Now to find a replacement, that hoping will outlast me, these units were solidly built in USA, not too impressed with what is available these days..

Thanks again.

Old 05-14-21, 04:38 AM
R
The tech did use nitrogen? To what test pressure? What leak detection method was used?
Did he reclaim the charge before the nitrogen? Or was there no refrigerant left? Or did he just blow the charge?
Was a vacuum pulled when he released the nitrogen, before recharging?
How long was the tech there?
It’s not advised to brand shop. Most brands are related to the same parent company. Or have the same internal parts.

Old 05-14-21, 05:58 PM
Tech initial diagnoses were that it needs more gas, meaning that there was gas still in system.I can remember him reclaiming the charge before he started testing. What test pressures he used I don't know,. He did use Nitrogen from a container marked as such.. He used the new Refrigerant R-22 from new gas bottle and it was full when he started.recharging. He charged me for a full 2.5Kgs.I have to admit that he didn't look comfortable with what he was doing,and got the impression that this was the first Weatherton he has come across..I do recall him saying that he didn't think there was a leak.Not sure what leak detection he used, it could have been a gas leak detector meter that he was carrying. Tech was there for more than 2hrs.approx..I wasn't watching what he was doing all the time...

Old 05-14-21, 06:38 PM
R
Well, it was either charged wrong or you’ve leaked enough refrigerant back out where it needs charged again. Until the leak is found, or the unit is replaced, it’ll continue to require charging.
That unit isn’t anything the tech would need specific training for. Just a regular heat pump.

Old 05-14-21, 07:25 PM
Understand. Thank you. I'll put it down to bad experience and move on. Meantime I'm looking for a new brand unit replacement..
Thanks again.

Old 05-14-21, 08:42 PM
R
There isn’t really such a thing as a best brand to shop for. The internet reviews of certain brand names are essentially worthless as they don’t take in to account what makes a unit perform poorly or break down a lot.
Shop around for a really good installer. Someone you can trust.
Only other thing to look for with a heat pump is demand defrost over timed defrost

Old 05-15-21, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I will keep .them in mind.

Old 11-27-21, 03:25 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Did you find your solution? See my similar issue i posted recently. It was the thermostat. You are correct about the system being old. The gentleman that serviced ours when needed over the years finally retired. The techs who took over where not born when the Weathertron was installed. Self-diagnosis and forums like this is what we have left.

Old 11-29-21, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately we had to scrap it,pity for such a waste.
Contactors, relays,switches,timers,thermostat etc were all perfectly in very good condition. Techs not familiar with old equipment, gave up. Could not visually see any sign of leaks after dismantling, but there had to be a leak somewhere. I agree with your last sentence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: