Disagreement With A/C Contractor

Old 12-09-22, 05:24 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disagreement With A/C Contractor

When our 30-year old natural gas furnace died a week before Thanksgiving and we were expecting a house full of guests, I looked up on Consumer Reports for heat pumps. The two that stood out were American Standard and Trane. On the American Standard website, they recommended one contractor in my area and after a brief phone call, they promptly sent out a representative. My wife and I have owned a small piece of commercial real estate for almost 30 years and we have 11 HVAC units on the roof so I have some knowledge. The representative from the contractor crawled under the house (where the old FAU was installed) and wrote me up a proposal right then and there. He said that we would need all new duct work under the house and he explained why. I signed the contract on the spot for slightly over $22,000.

They had the system running before our guests arrived but admitted that they would have to come back to finish up. Then they started offering excuses why they couldn't come back and they finally said that the access to some of the duct work was too limited and all they could do was to offer me a refund on the duct work that wasn't installed. I agree with them that the access isn't great but I've been in the crawl space myself running speaker wires and if I can do it, it shouldn't be too hard for someone much younger than me (almost everyone is younger than me). Now, some parts of the house are even colder than they were with the old FAU. What would you do?

Old 12-09-22, 05:53 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 185 Likes on 148 Posts
If the work was in the estimate, it should have been done. They looked at it & gave you a quote. You signed it as I assume they signed it as well. That's a binding contract in my opinion. They said they could do the work as per the quote.

I'd either have them to finish the job .... "Professionally"... or refund me enough money to ensure that another contractor be paid & some "sump'n" for my trouble to find & deal with another contractor that is willing to come behind someone else's work & finish it up. Most contractors don't like doing that. Those who will, usually charge a premium for that.
They'd pay more than its worth to get it done by another contractor if I could make that happen.
I'd retain an attorney if I felt strongly enough about it.

I'd make sure that it was done professionally. I'd make sure its in writing that I expect it to be done professionally, in case they have any intentions of just doing a sloppy job "just to say they done it".

Just my 2 cents......

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-10-22, 10:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Post some pictures of the ductwork that they say cannot be accessed.

If you can get your hand behind the ducts to get pictures they should be able to work on the duct.

Old 12-25-22, 11:35 AM
Y
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Did the contractor do Manual J calcs..? My feeble brain says there are more calcs, D and some more. Did they flush system with nitrogen after install ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: