Heat Pump Lines Installed Next to Wood Stove Chimney

Old 12-28-22, 01:14 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Heat Pump Lines Installed Next to Wood Stove Chimney

Hi All,
I am considering installing a heat pump in my bedroom and there are a limited number of places that I can put it. The best spot involves running the lines up from the basement about 12 inches from a lined cinder block chimney with only air space between the chimney and the heat pump lines. The chimney vents a wood burning stove. The heat pump lines would come in about 3 feet above where the wood stove enters the chimney and then runs the length of the chimney (about a foot away from the side) to the second floor.

Is there any concern with the heat pump lines warming up when the wood stove is running? Are there any code violations in doing this?

I attached a couple of photos. Note that currently there is a oil furnace running into the chimney but that will be replaced with a wood burning stove.

Thank you for your help!!
Rob

See where the wood stove would come in and where the heat pump lines would enter the chimney cavity

See how the heat pumps lines would go up the chimney cavity

Old 12-28-22, 02:54 PM
Received 1,058 Upvotes on 960 Posts
I can not imagine that a flue, inside a block chimney would ever be a concern but I'll let others comment!

Have you considered a mini split that would eliminate the need for any coolant lines?

DIY_Heat_Pump voted this post useful.
Old 12-28-22, 03:04 PM
D
I thought about using a central ducted heat pump initially. However my goal is to get rid of the oil furnace that I have in my basement so that I can finish the space. Admittedly ducted heat pumps are quite a bit smaller than the furnace that I have now but it would be nice to not have anything down there. I have put mini splits in almost ever other room but this bedroom is a challenge due to it's location. My thinking was that I would put in a MrCool 4 gen 12k air sourced mini spit (DIY-12-HP-WMAH-115C25) I'd did another room with the 18k version and it's pretty nice not going to lie.

Old 12-28-22, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
As long as the copper lines don't touch any steel duct work.... you'll be fine in that chase.

Old 12-31-22, 12:06 AM
D
Rodger that, thanks all!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: