A/C not working

Old 12-05-23, 09:33 AM
T
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
A/C not working

Hello. I live in a high-rise condo building. Since I've moved in 6 years ago, I've had issues with the Y strainer getting clogged. The water lines were corroding, which was causing a build-up of debris in the strainer. They are working on installing a new AC system. I don't know if they've installed the new water coolers on the roof yet, but they've installed new piping throughout the building, including in my unit.

I have a new strainer, out of which I recently released some water. I've also sucked the water out of a plastic drain tube of sorts on the inside of the AC unit. I've done those two jobs (clean the strainer and drain the tube) since I moved in and, as long as everything as okay elsewhere in the building, they would keep my unit working.

My unit isn't working and maintenance is saying everything is in order elsewhere. Do you know what the issue might be.

This video is almost 3 minutes long, but it shows my unit with the cover off. I appreciate the help as always.

https://youtu.be/WEk-cx6OzTM

Old 12-05-23, 10:47 AM
T
Here's the other half of my AC unit with the cover off:

https://youtu.be/6qi_L5gQYIE

The pattern I'm seeing is that the compressor kicks on weakly then cuts off a couple of minutes later.

Last edited by TonySexton; 12-05-23 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-05-23, 12:32 PM
B
Received 286 Upvotes on 254 Posts
If the building A/C upgrade only involved plumbing with regards to your A/C unit, your A/C issue isn't likely caused by the plumbers. Was your unit working correctly before the building A/C upgrade?

Old 12-05-23, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
You have a water loop packaged heat pump system. Instead of the compressor using air to cool off..... it uses building supplied cold water. Your management would not have connected brand new piping to an old problem cooling tower.

The home inspection was in 2017 when you moved in.
Was the unit brand new or was there a previous owner ?

Are there any blinking lights on the control board ?
HBV compact heat pump - pdf

Old 12-05-23, 09:28 PM
T
The company that's installing the new system connected the brand new piping to the old cooling tower. The tower won't be replaced until relatively early next year.

Building maintenance came. I will shoot a video tomorrow showing you what they did. It worked. It was a step beyond what I ordinarily do.

Until then.

Old 12-06-23, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Hopefully they installed main filters to keep from contaminating everyone's units.

Old 12-14-23, 06:43 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Hi, that unit appears to be a chilled water system, no compressor there, on a call for cooling the chilled water valve would open allowing chilled water to flow through the coil, is the valve opening on a call for cooling from the Tstat?, do you feel chilled water going to the coil? that goop in the pan is a result of the run off from the evaporator coil , normal , that should all run out of the condensate drain and out of the building.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 12-14-23, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Geo.... it's not a chilled water system.
The water used is sent thru a cooling tower and is at ambient temperatures.
The water is used to cool the compressor. It's not connected directly to the cooling coil in the unit.

Old 12-14-23, 05:25 PM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Got it Pete, Water source heat pump, we had buildings with 100ís these small units above the ceiling, years ago tho.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 12-14-23, 11:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
I suspect that they actually removed the strainer for cleaning instead of just trying to flush.

I would say that your water source heat pump looks like a 2011 model from the serial number.
The date of inspection is what you described.

While the 2023 manual shows a test button the video looks like it shows the older test pins that you momentarily short to bring up diagnostics.

I would expect to see high pressure lockout in cool mode and FP1 or FP2 lockout in heat mode if you have a restricted strainer.

Testing water source heat pumps can be very informing if you have pressure temperature ports at the entering and leaving water pipes. That 24 volt valve will prevent an accurate measurement of water flow using the pressure drop chart and a digital water gauge unless you add a Pete's plug or two.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: