AC Filters for a woodshop

Old 06-17-24, 09:21 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC Filters for a woodshop

I'm going to put this under this forum because it talks about workshops. I have a woods-hop. I'm assuming people in here have an idea about using air conditioners in wood shops.

My basement woodshop is now starting to get very hot in Atlanta Georgia. I have one of those large air conditioners that sits on the floor and vents out through a window. I was told by a friend of mine that if you use those air conditioners in wood shops, the cooling veins will come in operable over time.

am I able to add either some sort of a filter or a cloth that will stop some of the finer dust from going through the outer shell inlet of the air conditioner and keep the dust off the veins?

Anyone tried this before? I can blow these filters out regularly to keep them as efficient as possible. I just wanna make sure I don't overtax the intake of this unit and burn it out

Top Answer

06-17-24, 10:15 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
I use a two hose portable air conditioner. That helps a lot. The less expensive single hose type is sucking your conditioned air in and blowing it outside. So, the cooling you receive is greatly reduced and the machine is drawing in a lot more room air that needs to be filtered which then gets blow outside.

At the beginning I taped a cardboard box to the side of the portable AC to act as a plenum. Then I cut holes in the cardboard box to accept standard furnace air filters. This is a lot easier done with two hose models as much less air is drawn into the unit so there is less air to filter. With a single hose AC you also have to filter the condenser's air that gets blown outside so you'll need a bigger box and more air filter area.

The big box on the side of the AC works but it is cumbersome. So for the MKII version my plenum box on the AC was just big enough to cover all the intake grates of the machine and provide room for me to attach 6" diameter flex duct which I than ran to my filtration box. I made the filter box out of luan and 3/8" plywood (cheap material I had on hand). The wooden box allowed me to make slots to accept furnace filters so they can be easily cleaned and changed. To save floorspace I hung the filter box from the ceiling. The air hose to the portable AC comes out the bottom and the four sides of the cube each have a 20x20 pleated air filter.

Old 06-17-24, 10:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
I use a two hose portable air conditioner. That helps a lot. The less expensive single hose type is sucking your conditioned air in and blowing it outside. So, the cooling you receive is greatly reduced and the machine is drawing in a lot more room air that needs to be filtered which then gets blow outside.

At the beginning I taped a cardboard box to the side of the portable AC to act as a plenum. Then I cut holes in the cardboard box to accept standard furnace air filters. This is a lot easier done with two hose models as much less air is drawn into the unit so there is less air to filter. With a single hose AC you also have to filter the condenser's air that gets blown outside so you'll need a bigger box and more air filter area.

The big box on the side of the AC works but it is cumbersome. So for the MKII version my plenum box on the AC was just big enough to cover all the intake grates of the machine and provide room for me to attach 6" diameter flex duct which I than ran to my filtration box. I made the filter box out of luan and 3/8" plywood (cheap material I had on hand). The wooden box allowed me to make slots to accept furnace filters so they can be easily cleaned and changed. To save floorspace I hung the filter box from the ceiling. The air hose to the portable AC comes out the bottom and the four sides of the cube each have a 20x20 pleated air filter.

2john02458, PJmax voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: