Photographing inside of wall

Old 10-04-12, 09:15 PM
Photographing inside of wall

If I may be so bold, I recommend an AAA powered floodlight (most of the small lights are spotlights). But you probably won't find in hardware stores or home centers. Use your favorite search engine. I carry one with me all the time. The DIY angle to this is that it let me take a decent photograph of the inside of a wall in my supposedly fireproof/Type I building, through a 1" x 1-1/2" hole. I taped the light to a piece of hanger that I bent like this:

__
| |
| |
| |
| |_____________

and hung it in the hole. It also helped me learn more about the wall I'll be drilling through next. Here's the picture I took of a wooden pole in the wall that I may show to the Dept. of Buildings.

Also, it's a good idea to make a hole to get a look at the inside of the wall that you want to drill into no matter what flashlight you have, at least in my case. I knew there was a 2-1/2" piece of metal on the top of steel studs, but I assumed it was a track or something similar that provided important support. I had made plans to drill my 5/16" holes under that piece of metal for safety, but now that I see it's just a weak frame for the mesh, I'll probably drill through it to make things look better.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-12, 05:32 PM
That is interesting.

What are these holes for? It appears that wall is just some wire mesh hung on some steel bars. I would not personally refer to that as steel studs. I would be wary of trying to hang anything of weight from just the plaster and metal mesh.

Do you have steam heat in the building? I have a feeling that post is not wood. Any idea how old the building is?

Old 10-05-12, 06:12 PM
I think you're right! I poked it and it gave a little. It had crossed my mind to try tapping it but apparently I never did. The other side of the cinderblock wall on the left has a water pipe for a fire hose. I think the pipe is the same diameter. It's just insulated inside the wall, with something very smooth on the outside. But yes, I have steam heat.

I just want to run a low voltage coaxial cable through about 1-1/2' of the wall, but I used to have a chin-up bar on that wall.

The building was built around 1965.

Old 10-05-12, 07:04 PM
My guess is that could be a steam pipe wrapped in asbestos insulation.

Old 10-11-12, 11:02 PM
I think drooplug is right it does look like asbestos insulation and definitely steam heating pipe. Unfortunately it was still fairly common practice to use asbestos during the time your building was built. For your purposes though I am fairly certain you can get by without having to have to remove the asbestos by a contractor unless you are going to open the wall and keep it open. Then you need to either encapsulate it or have it removed by your licensed contractor.
Great job by the way of taking a picture inside the wall. What kind of camera did you use?

Old 10-12-12, 07:32 AM
What kind of camera are you using that can get into a hole that small?

Old 10-13-12, 11:37 PM
I just held my cellphone camera up to the wall and aimed. It's less than 2 megapixels but it's good enough for this. Here's what the hole looks like.

Old 10-15-12, 01:54 PM
Neat job I don't have a cell phone with a camera but if I ever upgrade I will remember this trick.

Old 01-05-13, 08:22 PM
I enlarged the hole and cut another one and took pictures of the lower section in the wall. The top photo shows a gap on the left side where I could run cable (but probably won't), and both photos show a horizontal support around the center of the wall that I can't imagine being of any use to me. I guess I'd avoid drilling there is if wanted to insert something long. I wouldn't have expected this kind of structure by reading a DIY book.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Borad; 01-05-13 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Forgot photo

Search this Thread