Saving money on expensive medicines

Old 06-16-16, 12:40 AM
Saving money on expensive medicines

I was just prescribed a new diabetes medicine and the price about floored me almost $400.00 for a 30 day supply. I had investigated the drug before and I seemed to remember seeing something about help from the manufacturer. I looked for the website again and it said you could get this medicine for free.

I also saw something about them only paying about $40.00 which I thought is only a drop in the bucket. I thought though oh what the heck I might as well at least try it and see what comes of it so I e-mailed the savings card to my pharmacist and my prescription was free.

I haven't ruled out Canadian pharmacies even though technically it is not quite legal to use them but this is a good alternative and it is also legal. I have no questions I just wanted to pass on my good experience and for those who might not know about these programs now you know and I hope it helps you too.

I don't mind paying a reasonable price for a prescription but there was no way I could pay such a high price. Have a great day

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-16, 01:25 AM
Richard, I am assuming that you do not have any insurance, at least not any government-backed insurance. I received several discount cards when I had my prescriptions changed and each and every one stated it was not to be used with insurance, especially government insurance. I even asked at the pharmacy and was told my Medicare Advantage would give me a better price than would the discount cards.

I had two drugs that I was able to fill on the "three months for $10" plan but the one blood pressure pill would have been around $200. I was able to get a coupon off the Internet and drop the price to less than $20 for three months. Of course, now that I have the Advantage plan most of the common drugs are either free or dirt cheap. Unfortunately, the patent drugs are still expensive.

I think it is a crying shame that the drug manufacturers are allowed to charge such exorbitant prices to individuals without insurance and at the same time issue discount cards that bring the prices down to reasonable or in some cases free. I know, the "reason" given is the high cost of developing the drugs and the high cost of getting them approved but if you look behind the curtain you will see that in reality most of those costs are either paid directly by the government or are paid through research grants to universities that do the real R&D.

Several years ago Frontline did an expose and using figures from the drug companies they showed that more was spent on advertising than on R&D. I suspect it has only gotten worse.

Old 06-16-16, 03:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Prior to Medicare part D I got about half of my drugs thru Canada. I had to send them a money order as they didn't accept checks. The drugs didn't come directly from Canada but rather from the Netherlands, then to one of the Caribbean islands before getting to my mailbox. From the time I mailed the money order/prescription to the time I received the medicine was 7-10 days which I thought was quick seeing how far everything had to travel.

The savings were significant. My pharmacist asked if I was still taking certain drugs so I told him. He asked the price and on one of my stomach pills he said I was paying less than he did.

Old 06-16-16, 06:18 AM
Joel in answer to your question I have individual commercial insurance. You might as well say though that I have no insurance at all as the deductible is so high on my medicine. My older medication that I was taking was so low in price it really didn't hit the wallet that bad even without insurance paying. I went through my states insurance market place too and the policies were cheaper there but to get something cheap that you could afford it meant a high deductible. All thanks to the Affordable Care Act what a laugh.

Marksr my family does buy some medication through Canada and I have friends who also buy through Canada. I have more good news to share too my doctors office called and they have some samples so when the prescription finally will not be paid by the drug company then for a while I can get it from my doctors office. I agree though with you Joel the drug companies have a racket going on here and have basically become legal drug pushers selling their drug for as high a price as they can.

I am grateful for the help and the free medication at least for now but that doesn't mean that I trust any of the drug companies. We need more control over the price of the drugs sure they still need enough for r&d but not so much that they steal money from consumers. I also believe the drug companies need to be able to make a profit for their share holders but not by robbing the consumer.

Old 06-16-16, 12:24 PM
Way too many to list separately, here is a search result on Frontline reports on the cost of prescription drugs in the US and other countries. Read a few and then try to calm down.

Searching Frontline for 'drug company profits'

Bottom line, the drug companies are making insane amounts of money.

Old 06-16-16, 10:13 PM
I read one of the reports from 2003 and unfortunately things haven't changed much. Whether it is one party or the other cost controls and oversight are really not that much better. Unfortunately many doctors are blind to what the big pharma companies are doing and it takes many lawsuits to see that a drug is really dangerous. My mom was on one of those dangerous diabetes drugs and while I was talking about a change in medication I told him I would not take that. He said don't worry I would never prescribe it it can cause swelling in the legs.

Yet I know he still prescribes other drugs that can be almost as dangerous such as statins for instance. The problem is he is kind of boxed into a corner now there are safer drugs on the market for cholesterol but they cost a great deal of money. much more than my diabetes medicine out of pocket would cost. How much safer these drugs are I can't say and I am sure there are other dangers not yet disclosed. Unfortunately we live in an imperfect world where things now are more expensive than they should be but there is some help out there thankfully.