hidden air filter on generator

Old 09-24-18, 10:52 AM
hidden air filter on generator

So I've been having a frustrating time trying to figure out what my generator problem was. Typical starting problems and if started maintaining to run. Although the carburetor was recently rebuilt and the unit hardly used since that rebuild and fresh gas or keeping the lines and carburetor totally empty did not seem to help the situation. Everything pointed to the carburetor not properly functioning. So I decided to do a carb cleaning and gasket replacement. But before actually disassembly of the carb, I thought I would do an aggressive compressed air cleaning first and re-attach. As I re-attached the carb, I decided to thoroughly clean the air filter housing and filter, even though it looked pristine.

What I discovered however, is that the filter housing has a by-pass filter on the backside, open to the atmosphere and in direct line of the exhaust. It's a small plastic housing that clips to the main housing. Wouldn't normally notice it and it's hidden on the backside (not even noted on the parts list). Removed it and the sponge inside it and found the thing hard packed with mud! Similar to what a wasp might make. But this was no bug infestation. Just built up mud and debris. Had to use a screw drive to break it up and clean it out.

Re-assembled and started up with just a few pulls. Remained steady and smooth for a solid half hour. So I think the air compressor cleaning and the by-pass air filter resolved the problem.

Moral of the story...look for hidden items.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-18, 06:14 AM
What I discovered however, is that the filter housing has a by-pass filter on the backside, open to the atmosphere and in direct line of the exhaust.
If any you read this, you may be scratching your head saying what the hell is this guy talking about.

Call it a brain freeze, stupidity, being too excited that I found and fixed the problem, putting mouth in motion before engaging brain, whatever!

It's not a by-pass filter. It's the only air intake to the filter and it located at the exhaust to take in warm air. It's an intake with a separate sponge filter before directing the air through the main filter. It was in fact hard packed with mud, causing the carb to starve for combustible air. And most likely the main cause of problems was debris in the carb that got dislodged during my aggressive compressed air cleaning.

It may not mean much to anybody but it bothered me to give erroneous information. I had to correct it.