Garbage Disposal locked up.

Old 01-31-00, 04:35 AM
Visiting Guest
IT seems that a nickle has been put into my disposal. I've never taken one apart. Any helpful hint before I get started?

Old 01-31-00, 08:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Have you tried using the wrench that comes with most garbage disposals? There is usually an allen wrench hole in the center of the very bottom of the disposal unit, and many disposals even come with an allen wrench (about 1/4") attached to the side of the unit. If you can find a wrench and locate the hole, unplug the unit and then use the wrench to manually rotate the disposal. This will usually free up the jam and allow you to remove the mangled nickel without removing the unit at all. Hope this works for you. Forward a message to me if you like in case this doesn't apply to your situation.

Old 02-01-00, 12:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

John-
Even though the Timber Tailor has answered your question quite nicely, I am moving this thread to Appliances - Small, which is where it belongs (Sam, our Accessories expert, knows a lot about Decorating and such, but unless you want to coordinate your disposal with your curtains, she may not be able to help you!)
Good Luck!

Lydia
DoItYourself.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: