Picture Frame Color Matching Furniture Color

Old 03-01-05, 11:01 AM
Margie55
Visiting Guest
Picture Frame Color Matching Furniture Color

I have a medium oak bedroom suite with some dark brown in it also and would like to know if it's ok to hang picture frames that are a dark mahogony or red mahogony. The frames are quite a bit darker than the headboard but some people say it's nice to have a little contrast.

Old 03-01-05, 01:55 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Contrast is an old saw among designers of all kinds. But not "a little" contrast. STRONG contrast is the point. Subtle contrast - i.e. close but not quite - is a no-no.

Different aspects of your frames can - and should - either stand out or tie in to existing room elements. And you've got colour, form, pattern, material, and other comparable features to consider. When each element in design holds a mix of strong contrasts and bang-on reflection, we get visual music.

So frames "quite a bit darker" is a good start, IMO, but what ties them in? Wood grain... but perhaps the mahogany and oak grains form a weak link? Well, just the fact they're wood does qualify as repetition... I wish I had a picture to consider.

Anyway, there's a design tool (or rule, depending on who you ask). I hope it helps!

Old 03-01-05, 02:46 PM
Margie55
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice but I'm still not sure. The picture itself looks great and goes great with the paint color and bed coverings. The bed itself is oak which has a lot of grain but the picture frame is more of a solid red mahogany. If you look close at it you can see little dark flecks in it but can only be seen if you look real close. Do you know of a web site that can shed some light on this issue? I've been looking but can't find anything. Thanks.

Old 03-01-05, 02:49 PM
if your bedding has burgundy in the fabric, then the burgundy tones of the red mahogany frame "can" be good. is that the case?

Old 03-01-05, 02:55 PM
Margie55
Visiting Guest
No Burgundy anywhere. My bedspread is dark brown and I have another one I use in summer which is beige and taupe. They look really nice in the room. I had a decorator pick out the paint and my floor is oak. It's a new house that's why I'm picking out pictures for the walls. The red mahogany is a lot of contrast. I love the pictures themselves but not sure about the frames. The pictures are in black and white . Can you put pictures on this site? I could take one and see what you think. Thanks again.

Old 03-02-05, 10:11 AM
i think i'll have to vote no. either reframe the pictures, or paint the frames (black perhaps, to show off the black & white prints) or pass on them altogether and find something framed in the brown tones.

i just don't see red mahogany making any sense in a room with oak furniture. sorry!!!

Old 03-02-05, 01:55 PM
Margie55
Visiting Guest
Thanks Annette. I just read your post now but took the pictures back earlier this afternoon. I went to a store that did frame work and took a drawer from my dresser with me. She also thought the red was a no no. To reframe them in something that matched was going to be too expensive on top of what I already paid for the pictures. I'll just start looking again. At least now I know to stay away from the red tones. Thanks again for your help. I may need it again sometime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: