Removing contact paper from wooden tables

Old 05-12-05, 11:25 AM
porcelina68
Visiting Guest
Removing contact paper from wooden tables

I recently aquired three great tables from someone my husband was helping move. There are some sort of Oriental designs on the sides of these tables and they have locks in the shape of fish on the sides, and for some reason, this lady didn't want her pastor to see them, so she covered them with wood-grain contact paper. I would like to remove this paper, and I have tried using a damp towel and a steam iron, and all that comes off is the first layer, leaving the adhesive and the "backing".

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I really don't want to try and scrub it off, because I don't want to damage the wood.

Old 05-31-05, 09:28 AM
bobaftt
Visiting Guest
goo gone

I have not used goo gone for removing contact paper before but if it is just the sticky stuff thats left I would try it on a unseen area and see how it works for you.

Old 06-03-05, 05:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Perhaps the piece has a lacquer finish. Test first in inconspicuous place with white rag and mineral spirits. Mineral spirits tends to have no effect on lacquer finish. Because you mention 'Oriental design' I am assuming lacquer because lacquer finish is often found on such pieces. If you find lacquer has no effect on finish, then proceed with soft scrubbie or plastic scraper to dissolve adhesive and paper backing. If you are successful, please post again. If not, you must post again for further suggestions. We are anxious to know what had to be hidden from the pastor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: