Hanging a picture from ceiling

Old 05-28-05, 10:35 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hanging a picture from ceiling

I would like to hang a picture from the ceiling. I have access to the attic where I could install cross-studs to hold the hangers which will come through from the ceiling. Given the fact that I will have a ceiling support, I am wondering what options do I have to have a decent hangers on the ceiling to make it attractive and what kind of wires or the like to hang the two hangers on the picture (which is about 17 pounds - but I will take 20 pounds to be on the safe side).

Before you can say that I should put it on the wall, it is not possible to do so because it is a marble fireplace wall. And there is a crown molding on the ceiling where the wall meets the ceiling.

I will appreciate having some suggestions so I can decide what is what.

Thanks,

Ken

Old 05-28-05, 05:32 PM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
You can give it the "invisible " look buy using nylon fishing line from the hangers on the back of the picture through the dry wall or plaster ceiling (2 tiny holes) and tie the fishing line in the attic to something that will not come through the tiny hole (a washer). 20 lbs is no weight at all.

Old 06-01-05, 08:49 AM
C
I would think that you could go to any home supply store (like a Home Depot) and purchase wire. You might also be able to find good wire for this at a craft supply store. They'd have different strengths & widths & colors/finishes to choose from.

Another idea would be to use the crown molding as your support. Have you considered this? Holes could be easily filled & painted at some point in the future, if needed.

(Edited to add:
We recently built a suspended bed for our oldest son (under which he has a desk & track lighting)...and so we had to break through the ceiling into the attic to find studs to attach the chains & bolts to. It was alot of work, though well worth it in the long run! But, I'm wondering if this isn't alot of work for hanging pictures? That's why I'm suggesting the crown molding.)

Old 06-01-05, 10:20 AM
hanging a 20 lb object from crown moulding will surely, without a doubt, rip the moulding from it's location. crown moulding is only held in place with glue & finish nails. please don't attempt that.

however, i don't have any other suggestions. every museum i've ever been to hung the artwork on the walls, so i don't even know what wire system you're talking about. sorry.

Old 06-02-05, 09:51 AM
C
You could go through the crown molding, though. If you go through that into ceiling studs (at an angle) then you're avoiding the issues of the marble wall.

Old 06-13-05, 10:07 AM
K
You could hang it simply by drilling into the marble. But that's not too future-friendly is it?

I would secure just the crown moulding from above. A few scraps of 2x4 and 3" screws should do the trick. It will go a lot easier if the screws are driven by hand and a helper below feels against screw points emerging. That or inject construction adhesive behind the moulding, around screws poking into the void. Then look for nice hooks to put into the moulding.

If the moulding profile can't sport hooks elegantly, I would cut out some moulding and add an appropriately formed "hanger block" (screwed to 2x4 from above). This architectural detail would then look honest and purposeful with a pair of hooks in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: