New homeowner needs supply list

Old 06-09-05, 07:16 PM
ariane
Visiting Guest
Question New homeowner needs supply list

Not sure if this is the proper forum...but here I go
We are buying our first home. What kind of tools/supplies will we need? We currently live in a 2BR apartment, so I don't need linens and stuff.

Old 06-10-05, 03:53 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You will need a basic tool kit: Tape measures (25' for measuring a room or larger distances and 6-12' for measuring for curtains and for slipping into your pocket when you go shopping. You will need a flat-head and Phillips screwdrivers and maybe some tiny ones for tiny screws. Needle-nose pliers and some regular pliers. Wire cutters are handy, too. A level is important for hanging pictures, leveling furniture, etc. A hammer is an important addition to the tool box. Vise grips are for great for holding things or twisting things apart. You will want a package or box of different sizes of nails and screws and some picture hangers. A cordless drill works wonders around the home especially if hanging drapery rods and blinds. A utility knife and some blades are a must. A grounded extension cord is wonderful for both outdoors and indoors.

You might also want to pick up a package of felt dots to stick on the bottom of vases and decorative items so they don't scratch your furniture. If you are going to have hardwood floors, you will need felt protectors for your furniture and an old-fashioned untreated dust mop to keep high traffic areas free of grit. A little container of spackle and putty knife for filling nail holes is helpful when you decide that you need to change the position of a picture. A package of multi-grit sandpaper and some superfine #0000 steel wool may come in handy for repairs. Carpenter's wood glue, super glue, and white glue can usually be found in homes for repairs. Some Goof Off or Goo Gone are handy for removing tape and sticker residue and other sticky stuff.

You might want to pick up some rosin paper to cover hardwood floors in areas where movers will be tracking or some plastic runners to cover carpet, especially if it's a rainy day and lawn is not established. You will also need a fly swat because insects will enter the home while movers keep the doors open.

Outdoors you will probably need a mower, leaf blower, round and square-tipped shovels, rake, hand pruners and loppers for pruning, push broom, trimmer, water hose and sprayer, sprinkler, and some books on gardening and plant identification and lawn care and maintenance. If you are going to do your own lawn maintenance, you will need a quality spreader.

Old 06-10-05, 10:37 PM
Sachin
Visiting Guest
Welcome to home ownership. My wife and I just bought our first house together. I found the following VERY useful within three weeks of moving in:

1. Claw hammer
2. Rubber mallet (VERY useful for putting furniture together)
3. Needlenose pliers
4. Slip-joint pliers (what everyone thinks of as pliers)
5. Wire cutters/strippers
6. Full set of flat head and Phillips screwdrivers
7. Cordless variable speed drill, also doubles as an electric screwdriver.
8. Level (at least 1 ft. long)
9. Measuring tape - at least 12 feet, preferably 15-20.
10. Rachet set
11. Plunger
12. Adjustable wrench
13. Allen key set
14. Small stepladder (preferably fiberglass)
15. 25ft long HEAVY DUTY (three-prong) extension cord
16. Pocketknife

For the yard:

1. Leaf rake
2. Garden rake
3. Wheelbarrow
4. Tarp
5. Leaf blower
6. Lawn mower
7. Weedeater
8. Garden shovel
9. Snow shovel (maybe)
10. Push broom

Many of the household tools are available in sets.

One thought: Money is going to be VERY tight for you right now. Go to yard sales and look for old high-quality tools. I inherited almost all my tools from my father when he passed on and they still are better than most things on the market. I use his corded drill and it will go through brick like it was balsa wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: