Wrinkled paper lamp shades - HELP!

Old 11-02-05, 10:28 AM
blessed7585
Visiting Guest
Wrinkled paper lamp shades - HELP!

How do you safely remove wrinkles from a paper lamp shade? I have purchased an IKEA of Sweden MANAD hanging lamp with cubed paper shades and they ship the cubes folded flat, creating many wrinkles in the paper shades. Any ideas (hopefully tried and true) would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Old 11-02-05, 10:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
do you have to now "assemble" the shades? if so, once they're pulled taut, the wrinkles will smooth out.

Old 11-02-05, 10:44 AM
blessed7585
Visiting Guest
The paper lamp shades are assembled on a wire frame, but still wrinkled when pulled taut. I can smooth some small wrinkles with my fingers (very time consuming!) but the deeper wrinkles are the ones that I need help with. I thought maybe dry heat, such as a hair dryer might help, but again those deeper wrinkles are not giving in Ironing them is not an option because they are already assembled into cubes...so I am open to all suggestions!

Thanks,

Kelly

Old 11-02-05, 10:52 AM
i've ironed wrapping paper before.......try your iron on them.

i don't suppose the wrinkles add character and make the paper appear handmade or something cool, do they??

Old 11-02-05, 10:59 AM
blessed7585
Visiting Guest
Thanks Annette. Ironing them would be possible if there was some way to get these cubes (that are already adhered to wire frames) in a position that the iron would work - the ironing board is out - any ideas? I guess I could get my "do-it-yourself" man to make a wooden block??? I am sure he would love that!!

I could go for the "character" that the wrinkled shades give this lamp if all else fails!!

Thanks again.

Old 11-02-05, 11:05 AM
i didn't mean to lay it flat. i meant to hold the steam iron vertically up to the shade & attempt to steam the wrinkles out.

probably over time, they'll relax out.

if it's really awful and unacceptable to you, return them for different ones or just find something else. if the picture on the box shows them perfectly flat & unwrinkled, then that's how yours should be. did you order them or buy them in person? if the latter, was there a nice unwrinkled one on display? if so, go back & ask for that one!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: