picture frames

Old 02-27-06, 11:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
picture frames

Are there any guidelines for choosing picture frames? I just bought some artwork and need to decide on the framing. The room has natural oak flooring with white trim and alot of built-ins. I do have some satin nickel accents (light fixtures, telephone). I'll probably also go with a satin nickel picture light. The rugs and furniture are still in the planning stage, it will be a clean formal look with mission/shaker wood tables. My goal was to use the art work as inspiration for everything else and I'm stumbling on the frame.

Old 02-27-06, 12:36 PM
using the artwork for inspiration is great, but save the frames for last - they're part of the accessorizing that's usually done last. i'm thinking they'd probably show best framed in black and matted in white, but without seeing the actual artwork, that might not be true. a black frame would work with the nickel, and wouldn't fight with the wood tones in the floor & furniture.

i would keep it in the back of your mind, but i'd wait until you've done the rest of the room to decide for sure.

Old 02-27-06, 05:30 PM
B
My first suggestion is to let the art work dictate the type of frame. eg) I wouldn't put something like the Mona Lisa in a metal frame. Conversely, modern art would not look right in an ornate wooden frame.

2nd: visit a frame shop and test different frames on the art work. You try just a corner at a time.

3rd - let the artwork guide you on the colors of the matting.

Don't fret over the frame. The frame is there to accent the artwork, not compete with it.

Old 02-28-06, 08:14 AM
C
thanks for the tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: