Picture hanging

Old 07-06-06, 05:13 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Picture hanging

Hi All,
Me and my wife have purchased our first home and have a newbie question.
Is there a set "rule" of how high from the floor a picture or piece of artwork should be hung? Our new home has 9' ceilings and we want to make sure we don't hang our new pictures or artwork too high or too low. Is there a 'rule of thumb' for this?

Thanks!
Trchilds

Old 07-06-06, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
"Lifestyle" may be a better forum for this question, but normally the center of the pix is slightly above eye level. Now, if you are only 5', then an adjustment is necessary.

Old 07-06-06, 09:35 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I think this is a good spot fr this question

"Eye Level" is a good rule, but that can vary due to other things in, and they layout of the room, the height of the ceiling, doors, windows, etc.
So it's not written in stone
And everyone's eye level is a bit different, so a short couple may decide they prefer pictures at their eye level...there's nothing wrong with that
But it will look odd to any average height guests

Old 07-14-06, 08:11 AM
very generally speaking, the middle of the picture should be at YOUR eye level.

HOWEVER, with high ceilings, you can tweak them up a bit higher.

also consider the orientation of the picture (portrait or landscape) and how the rectangle relates to the architecture around it (like the tops of doorways, cabinets, etc).

if the picture is above a sofa or table, it needs to be hung so that the bottom of the picture is only about 6" above the table surface or sofa so that the picture relates to the object below, which may or may not put the center of the picture at anyone's eye level.

Old 07-27-06, 06:21 AM
D
I think about 7 ft. would be the right height if you were a tall person. If you were only 5 ft. tall then I would suggest 6 ft.

Old 07-27-06, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by doordoctor#2
I think about 7 ft. would be the right height if you were a tall person. If you were only 5 ft. tall then I would suggest 6 ft.
you mean the TOP edge of the picture at those heights?

Old 07-29-06, 12:54 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Picture hanging height

Forget about ceiling height. Tall people often tend to hang pictures too high where they seem to float above furnishings. You want pictures to relate to what is on the floor and to appear grounded.

Where will you be when viewing the picture? Standing? Sitting? Lying down? For instance, if picture will be viewed from primarily a standing viewpoint, you can start by holding center of picture about 5 feet from floor and adjust to preferred height. Mark where center top of frame will be on wall with pencil for a reference point. For instance, hall and entry way pictures will likely be viewed from a standing viewpoint. Pictures in diningrooms and sitting rooms will likely be viewed from a sitting viewpoint.

For a general rule of thumb, pictures are best hung at or slightly below eye level. When hanging pictures over a sofa, a hall table, buffet, or other piece of furniture, don't leave too much space between the top of the item and the frame. In doing so, the center of the picture then may not be at exactly eye level. The idea is to create a balance with the furnishings below.

If it is a grouping of pictures, you can arrange and rearrange the grouping on the floor to achieve balance and then hang the grouping above the furnishings without too much space between the couch or other furniture below in order to avoid 'floating.' You also want to not leave too much space between pictures in a grouping in order to avoid a lack of 'connectedness' between pictures. For instance, my personal rule of thumb for smaller pictures is to leave no greater than 4" between frames in a grouping. My personal rule of thumb for distance between bottom of picture and couch is no greater than 10-12".

I once had a friend who was 6'5" and his wife was about 5'. He hung all the pictures at his standing eye level. When his wife died and he remarried, his new wife whispered to me that she was going to gradually move the pictures down when he was not at home. There was a too-small picture above the couch that floated all alone closer to the ceiling than the couch. Thus, height from which picture will be viewed and size of picture or grouping above furnishings below are considerations when achieving balance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: