Rug placement help for living room

Old 07-18-06, 01:33 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rug placement help for living room

Hi all,

This is my first post I just moved into my first apartment. I am, however, having some difficultly decorating it! If anyone has any advice for furniture placement in this living room, please let me know. My biggest concern is placement of the area rug. It is an 8x10' and I am not sure if it is placed properly, as it looks a bit off to me. Also, the walls are kind of bare as I haven't had time to get paintings up, but that will be done soon. Thanks!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75920485COJWYP

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...75920485vnutiI

Last edited by DIYaddict; 07-18-06 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Removed personal information irrelevant to question
Old 07-18-06, 01:55 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the DIY forums blackg500

Congrats on your 1st move! What a beautiful apartment (from what I can see)

The only thing I could say as I'm no pro... the rug needs to be moved forward. It shouldn't be all the way under the couch nor right at the wall. If you did that to protect the flooring, you should get some furniture pads and stick it under the legs of the couch (or any furniture).

Just wanted to welcome you. Check back as I know Annette will definitely get you some great advice and pointers. She's the pro! In the meanwhile, you can also look in magazines or online and check out where rugs are placed in living rooms...you'll get the idea.

Old 07-18-06, 02:16 PM
B
Thanks for the feedback I was thinking about moving the rug forward, but wasn't sure. It's kind of a pain to move it, so I thought I was get some advice before I did anything.

Old 07-19-06, 10:27 AM
sorry i can't see the pics, but if we're talking about a conversational furniture grouping with an area rug defining the space, the front legs of all the furniture can be ON the rug (maybe 6" overlap max), but an 8x10 is "probably" too big for this type of space, so maybe that's the problem. but like i said, i can't see the pics.

Old 07-19-06, 10:59 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hey Annette:

If it helps any, it's not conversational furniture. The couch is against wall. The left of the couch is a chaise or part as a sectional. There is a tv set up right across from the couch(es) on the opposite wall. To the right of the couch is a side table.

The rug if it were to be centered between the tv and couch would probably definitely cover from front end to end or be right under the tv and couch.

Geez...that sounds confusing...even if I read it back.

Old 07-19-06, 11:04 AM
B
Does this picture work?

Old 07-19-06, 11:06 AM
B
Originally Posted by blackg500
Does this picture work?

Oh, and the side table is temporary until we find something else to put there.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-06, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you want a guys opinion ? I think it looks great the way it is. It gives the whole seating area the feel of wall to wall carpeting.

P.S. The pics work fine. I don't think Annette can view pictures sometimes.

Old 07-19-06, 12:03 PM
yeah, it's not you, it's me. i'm at work & my employer has photo places blocked.

if the rug will feet in between the front legs of the sofa & the front of the tv unit on the opposite wall, that sounds fine to me! but you wouldn't want the rug all the way under the sofa touching the wall behind the sofa. that would scream "it was way too big so we put the excess under the sofa so it would look more like a 5x7." and you don't want that. you wouldn't be able to hear the tv.

Old 07-19-06, 01:01 PM
B
Originally Posted by Annette
yeah, it's not you, it's me. i'm at work & my employer has photo places blocked.

if the rug will feet in between the front legs of the sofa & the front of the tv unit on the opposite wall, that sounds fine to me! but you wouldn't want the rug all the way under the sofa touching the wall behind the sofa. that would scream "it was way too big so we put the excess under the sofa so it would look more like a 5x7." and you don't want that. you wouldn't be able to hear the tv.
Thanks for the advice. I think if I moved the rug to within a few inches of the tv stand, it would only be a few inches under the sofa. I think i'll try that and see how it looks

Old 07-19-06, 01:25 PM
that sounds perfect.

Old 07-19-06, 03:49 PM
M
Nice TV!

Old 07-27-06, 06:33 AM
D
Thumbs up

The rug looks good and well-placed. Everything is what the normal living room would have. I wouldn't put anything else in because it would take the whole room up. I would try some border that had blue and white in it. Paint the room blue. It would look a lot better than it is. Hope this helps...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: