Picture ideas for over couch.

Old 07-19-06, 01:08 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Picture ideas for over couch.

I need ideas for a picture that will go over my living room couch.

I have a "great-room" painted light tan,with white doors, ceilings and trim. Rug is a medium beige. Couches are black leather, and furniture is dark walnut. The curtains are a taoupe color with a hint of green in them. The loveseat is under the window, the couch is against a bare wall. A matching chair completes the square and separates the room from the dining area where I have a solid walnut bar. I don't know what type of picture to hang over the couch. I know I don't want black and white, but I can't decide if an abstract would look better to tune all the colors in the room together or maybe a nice landscape picture. What do you think?

Old 07-20-06, 09:06 AM
i'm thinking a horizontal picture with bold golds, olive greens & deep brick reds, framed in black or dark walnut. you need some color in there! add 1 or 2 throw pillows on the leather sofa to warm it up (color & texture-wise) & repeat the colors in the picture, maybe a couple of dark red candles on bold black candlesticks (or any accessory of your choice) somewhere else. it sounds like you like a fairly neutral space, but you do need little hints of color here & there or it can look flat & lifeless.

as for the subject matter of the picture, that can set the tone for the room. use an abstract if you want a more contemporary feel, or a landscape for a more casual, homey feel. choose a picture that reflects something about you - something you like, somewhere you've been or would like to go, etc. when a guest asks you how you chose that particular picture, you don't want your response to be "um...the colors went with the sofa".

Here's a fun site to easily see lots of neat pictures, sorted by subject matter or color or artist, and you can see how each looks unframed or with different frames & mats.

Old 07-20-06, 03:13 PM
M
Thanks for the insight. I will check out that website and let you know what I decide!

Old 07-23-06, 06:42 AM
D
I would think a landscape picture would look better.

Old 07-23-06, 08:17 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yes, you certainly need some color for drama. This can come from art work, accessories, area rugs, etc. Choosing art tends to be a personal thing. A picture is often more than a splash of color on a wall. What speaks to you when you look at pictures? Cityscapes? Landscapes? Abstracts? What type of frame appeals to you? Wood? Gilded? Metal?

What colors in the picture? If picture picks up the bolder colors in the room, it can look very much at home. Since your palette is neutral, there are no bold colors from which to choose. What colors do you have in other rooms? Are there bold colors being used elsewhere that need to be pulled into this room to give it drama, to carry your color scheme throughout the home, to provide you a color palette with which to work?

Sometimes an inexpensive print can be framed in an awesome frame that makes it look very expensive. A wood frame tends to offer warmth and can be very complimentary to a landscape. A metal frame can often be just the perfect frame for a contemporary abstract. Metal frames come in a variety of colors. A gold frame may be the perfect frame for certain pictures.

What color mat? If colors are not bold, a bold mat can overpower the picture. If you find a picture that you like and do not like the frame or the mat, these can be changed.

You want to pick art that goes with your surroundings. Sometimes people take home a picture and it looks totally out of place. The colors may be wrong for the spot they intended to hang it. It may not be large enough or too small to provide balance to the space where it will hang. If you have high ceilings and a contemporary style, a large abstract may be just perfect. Many people buy paintings they like and then find the right place to hang them.

Take your time in making your selection of a picture to hang above the couch. Visit some art galleries or print shops. Some furniture stores have some lovely prints or faux paintings. You will need to focus on color, size, frame, and style. If your home has a contemporary theme, perhaps an abstract or cityscape may be your answer. If your home is more traditional, a more traditional picture may be appropriate. You will need to explore your likes and dislikes before making your decision. This will likely be the largest picture in your room and certainly an important element to the room.

Old 08-03-06, 02:26 AM
I had a similar problem and ended up hanging a huge rectangular mirror, in a dark cherry frame to match the other furniture.

It looks great....but the reflection is a nice view of the city. Might not work if you don't have anything interesting to 'reflect'.

Oh well, just a thought.

Old 12-17-06, 10:42 PM
H
Why not do a series of pictures? I really like it when something is a little creative and different. 90% of America has an abstract or landscape over their black leather couch. I like grouping pictures. I also think mirrors look great over sofas, I've seen different sized and shapes of mirrors, strategically placed, can look really cool . Some times it's fun to put up a long shelf and lean different sized pictures against the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: