Touch lamp

Old 01-29-08, 10:11 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Touch lamp

I have a brand new touch lamp that worked for about an hour. Now when I touch it it no longer turns on or off by the touch. I have to unplug it from the wall to turn it off and on. What might I have done to it?
Thanks

Old 01-29-08, 10:25 AM
being that it's brand new, take it back & exchange it.

Old 01-29-08, 11:35 AM
G
No other thoughts? It is in rental property, and when I had a chance to take it back in, I didn't. Now I no longer have the box, but still the same problem. Just thought someone might know something about the "touch" style lamp and why it might not work by touch anymore.

Old 01-29-08, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I have several touch lamps and one thing that seems to be hard on mine is if a bulb burns out.
This seems to damage the circuitry.

Also, if you are in a cold climate and have a dry house, sparks from your fingers could damage it as well as possibly using a bulb that is a higher wattage than recommended.

Other than this it likely was defective and many places will accept returns without the packaging.

Old 01-31-08, 11:32 AM
G
Something I just figure out was a put an energy efficient bulb in ther socket like a flourescent one. Maybe that did something?

Old 01-31-08, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Opps, my mistake.

I should have known better to not suggest a compact fluorescent lamp as a cause of your problem.

Yes, the bulb you used would cause a problem.
A touch lamp works the same way as a dimmer which also can not control a standard compact fluorescent bulb.

Will it work on a regular bulb?

Old 02-01-08, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Small electrical surges will turn them on and off, too. For instance, as my wife irons her nursing uniforms, the iron will turn on and off to keep a stable temperature. I noticed as the iron cycled it affected the lamp closest to it, probably on the same circuit. If your humidity is low, try licking your finger before you touch it. Sometimes the conductivity in dry areas needs a boost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: