Christmas decorating help

Old 11-24-08, 01:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Christmas decorating help

I just bought a Victorian home and would like to decorate for Christmas. I want the Victorian look but not completely. I like snowman, doves, old fashion Santa. and color schemes of purple, red, gold, or color schemes of blues and silver. I have a fireplace and a twisted staircase and 12 foot ceilings. I don't want really Goddy or tacky decorations or the things you find on most Victorian websites. I want pretty, hallmark, and classy looks. please give me tips on how to decorate my entire house. i am up to buying and making things. so feel free to give me any tips. I also would like pictures and examples. And if you have any websites. And i like seeing people's houses and how they decorated inside and out. Please just anything you can do to help. Sorry for going on and on.

Thanks,
Lauren

Old 11-27-08, 01:27 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If your are really into the Victorian Era, you may find this website helpful: Victorian Christmas Decorating

Victorian Christmas decor incorporated lots of natural greenery. Nothing faux like what is used today. They made use of greenery from gardens, using ivy, holly, laurel, or other evergreens. Decorations were usually handmade and very feminine. Decorations were sewn or embroidered and enhanced with lace. Colors were likely pink or burgundy. It was not uncommon to see childrens' paper chains or other paper decorations. Small dolls and soldiers were often observed on trees as well as ribbons and cookies. Staircases were decorated because they gave the first impression upon entering the home. Mantles, of course, were decorated with greenery and fruit.

It sounds like you need to find your own style. Avoid the Christmas decoration aisles. You will want to go with natural and homemade decorations. These decorations can be as simple as ribbons. With some research, you can find your own style and be able to incorporate turn-of-the-century and current Christmas decorations.

If you happen to live in an area where there are turn-of-the-century home tours during the holiday season, you can find great sources of inspiration. For instance, the Biltmore Mansion in NC would be a great source of inspiration if one lived near there. It was built in 1895.

Contacting local historical society may reveal some history of the home and its builder and inhabitants. That may lead you to learn more about who lived there and what they did to celebrate the holidays. Irish? English? Scottish? German? Depending upon where you live, the original owners may have come from other countries. Each culture tends to have its own traditions.

The style of your Victorian architecture may also be a clue. Is your home Queen Anne or other? Victorian decor was heavily influenced by the English and their love for travel and could often be found to be quite eclectic. Victorian decor was often accused of reflecting wealth and high social standing.

Dark and bold colors were often used. Today we are turning back to that trend. Dark greens, red, purples, browns, etc. Later Victorian era moved to lighter wall color, but color contrast was important. For example, a dark lamp base and a light color lamp shade.

Furniture was dark. You usually found high-backed chairs with carving and detail and marble table tops. With further research you can find greater details.

The Victorian era was one of excess for those who had money. They spared no excess and there were no bare spaces, but the theme can be tweaked to meet modern day demands of more simplified decor. The key is not to create a decorating nightmare. You want to achieve elegance and grace but not at the expense of being tacky.

Old 12-05-08, 03:48 PM
thank you. i live in indiana and the part of the city i live in is all the Victorian homes and by the court house. I'm not exactly sure what kind of Victorian this is. I have dark stained features and french doors in most rooms. The fireplace colors are greens and browns. all different shades. But the web site did help a lot. I am just having problems now trying to modernize it. But have it still lokk amazing and elegant. Thank you

Lauren

Old 12-05-08, 11:50 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Perhaps your Victorian style is among one shown here: Eastender Restoration | Victorian | Living Room

Old 12-07-08, 01:53 AM
yes thank you my house is a mixture of all of them. the outside is queen anne and stick style and folk victoian and also the shingle style. it is set up on the inside like the country homes. i dont really know how to send a picture or i would. but if you have any suggestions about christmas decoration ideas that would be great,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: