How high to hang clock?

Old 04-04-09, 05:47 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Red face How high to hang clock?

I've got a new 36" pendulum clock that I'm not sure how high to hang. Right now it's about 17" from the ceiling but it doesn't look quite right. - Maybe that's because of the wall it's on. Anyway, I'm going to move it to a different wall.
Is there a 'normal' 'from the ceiling' height for a clock like this to go? I'm hanging it myself so I can't stand back and look at different heights.
Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-09, 03:32 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I believe most designers give you a height from the floor - the clock is long so I am not sure if the rules still apply. Not sure if a 3' foot clock should still be 3' off the floor.

Old 04-06-09, 04:16 PM
M
You're right. I ended up hanging it about 9 inches from the ceiling. That makes it about shoulder height to me. I think it looks great! This is my company's 'I've been there forever' gift. I love it.

Old 04-10-09, 03:21 PM
T
Wow - 36 inches is a BIG clock! I think you were right to put it about 9 inches from the ceiling. My experience with wall clocks is that most people expect to look up slightly to see the time, so that height from the ceiling sounds just about right.

Just out of curiosity, how heavy is a clock this size and what did you use to mount it on the wall? I'll bet it's a real eye catcher!

Tom

Old 04-11-09, 03:12 PM
M
Talking Beautiful Clock

It IS absolutely beautiful. It's a Howard Miller Helmsley. Clockway: Howard Miller Quartz Chiming Wall Clock 620F192
It's a grandfather clock without the feet. hee hee. It's 18 pounds according to the specs.
I used a 75 pound drywall anchor to hang it. (I believe in being over-protective with something like this clock.
It was a gift from the company I work for. I've been there for 35 years.

Old 04-11-09, 03:43 PM
nap
I have the definitive answer to your question of:

How high to hang clock?
are you ready?

You hang it...

are you really sure you want this answer after you have already hung the clock?

you hang it....

are you sure?

exactly wherever you want to hang it.

I know, what a smart a**. The thing is, one of the main reasons designers are often thought of being the definitive answer to things like this is many people simply accept whatever they say. In reality, the best placement, color, texture, whatever, is whatever you like and want and to heck with the highly paid people that really do make really ugly things but people still go "ooooohh, that is so lovely" just because they paid a fortune to be told it was lovely and would look foolish if they disagreed with the person that just cost them their kids' college education fund.

Personally, depending on what else is in the room, I would hang it with the face at about 6' from the floor. Considering it is basically a legless grandfather clock, that is about the height that one would typically be if it were a full g-father clock.

Old 05-07-09, 06:50 AM
B
The "standard" is 65" to the center of both pictures and hanging clocks. But as with most standards it can be changed. But a standard is nice if you are in a room with a lot of different sized hangings, to have the centers all the same....

Bill

Old 05-07-09, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Wow, didn't know I was so smart; before I read Bill's answer I was thinking "eyelevel to the middle of the clock" (I'm 5'8").

Anyway, NICE CLOCK!

Old 06-01-10, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
but people still go "ooooohh, that is so lovely" just because they paid a fortune to be told it was lovely and would look foolish if they disagreed with the person that just cost them their kids' college education fund.
He he he he ha HAHAHA!!! Ahhhhh I did enjoy that perspective!!

Old 07-02-10, 05:09 PM
Hanging a clock on the wall depends on what you like. I would put the reading of the clock a little above eye level, and also stand back and see from a distance what it looks like and if you can read the time on it. If you can then it is the right height. I'm 5'5" and my husband is 6'4" so we have to compromise and put the clock somewhere in between. Whatever you decide, will be the right height to hang the clock.