Crystal chandeliers

Old 10-27-15, 10:29 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crystal chandeliers

I'm shopping around for a crystal chandelier. Quite often I see attractive chandeliers that are priced at a fraction of other similar (out of my price range) chandeliers. I'm not convinced all crystal chandeliers have the proper crystal. I know many are made with acrylic "crystals." Is it true that not all chandeliers called "crystal chandeliers" are made with glass crystals?

Old 10-27-15, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I don't know about acrylic crystals, but what makes one more expensive is the type of glass used. Fine crystals are made with lead glass, which will make it thinner. Also, it will be hand cut vs molded. So, the cheaper ones will most likely be made with a cheaper glass and molded. The thin, hand cut glass will also be shinier.

Old 03-12-16, 08:35 AM
A little more...

As Shadieladie said, the type of materials used makes a large difference in the cost of a chandelier. Though much "crystal" is no longer made with lead due to safety concerns, there is still a quality difference out there. In addition, the completeness of a design and the size of the chandelier will contribute to price difference. And, of course, country of origin makes a large impact on pricing.

Old 03-13-16, 08:15 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I doubt any chandeliers will be made from a plastic since the bulb heat may cause possible melting or fire.

Old 03-17-16, 09:58 AM
K
Many are made with acrylic. I've seen the acrylic damaged from heat and start crazing.

Old 05-17-16, 06:36 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I found paperwork on a Bohemian crystal chandelier my grandmother bought 60 to 80 years ago. It's still hanging in the dining room of my house I bought from my mom's estate and still looks great. I had never heard of Bohemian crystal before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: