Can I use two screws to mount in a single keyhole slot?

Old 09-23-19, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I use two screws to mount in a single keyhole slot?

I want to hang a large picture that has keyhole slot. It's very wide, so you would assume it would have two slots, but it only has one. I do not want it to easily sway or pivot if disturbed. My question is, If I put two screws in the wall close enough to slide the picture enough, will I be able to slide the picture onto the first screw and then onto the second or will it be too tight? The picture is not too flexible, but I assume if there is enough play between the screw head and slot track ridge, it should be doable. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-19, 12:08 PM
Received 107 Votes on 98 Posts
Even if you got both screws inserted it would still pivot around the top screw, you need to separate the attachments toward the edge of the item to provide stability so it does not move/rock!

Old 09-23-19, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
I agree. If you are still hanging the picture from the one keyhole hanger it will still move if bumped. If you do two attachments like Marq1 mentioned measure everything three times before drilling any holes as there will be no adjustment to tweak level. You can also put a hanger wire on the back of the picture frame and hang it from a single hook on the wall. Get it perfectly level. Then the bottom corners of the frame you can drill a tiny hole and use a small brad into the sheetrock to lock it into position against light bumping. And if you really want it stuck to the wall you can do what some restaurants do and put screws through the frame into the wall. It's a bit ugly but it's not falling down or getting knocked out of level.

Old 09-23-19, 12:52 PM
Received 107 Votes on 98 Posts
You can also put a hanger wire on the back of the picture frame and hang it from a single hook on the wall.
I recommend two hooks into the wall, first it reduces the load on each hook, and more important, once leveled it's much more stable than a single hook!

Old 09-23-19, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
I would be putting 2 of these on the sides of the picture frame, then use 2 picture hanging hooks to hang it. As long as the picture hanging hooks are level and the right distance apart, and the d-rings are equidistant from the top edge of the picture, you can't go wrong.

Wire and one hook also works, but I like d rings and 2 hooks better than wire and 1 hook..