how to add water to a 1985 merrilite frosty the snowman snow globe

Old 01-05-21, 03:31 PM
J
Received 3 Votes on 1 Post
how to add water to a 1985 merrilite frosty the snowman snow globe

This snow globe has sentimental value to me. The water is evaporating and I would like to add more. I did get the musical element off but can't figure out how to open up what looks like it might be an opening to the water section. (the white lid in the photo) It seems like plastic that is glued on. Any ideas?

Popular Reply

01-19-21, 07:24 AM
janebench
done!

I went with the drill hole option and it worked great! Thank you for taking the time to offer options. left empty room at the top for bubbles to escape. Just used distilled water which I put in with a syringe we had around for pilling our cats.

Old 01-05-21, 03:59 PM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
Yes, you will need to work that cap loose. It might break. Or you could drill a hole through it and cover with silicone glue. But you need to make the hole big enough to allow air to escape as you add new water.
You might try using a high acetone concentrate on the end of a toothpick to try to soften the glue that holds that cap on.

Old 01-05-21, 05:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Yes, the whole thing is glued together. Drill a small hole being careful to catch all the plastic shavings. Then use a syringe to add the water. You can order blunt tipped measuring syringes online or get sharp ones from the pharmacy. Then seal the hole with silicone.

Old 01-05-21, 05:18 PM
Use a syringe! Great idea. Never thought of that. If you ever tried to refill ink jet printers, you'll most likely have some syringes.

Old 01-06-21, 09:27 PM
J
I think I will try the drilling - but how do I catch the small shavings when I drill?

Old 01-07-21, 05:01 AM
Drill very slow. They should flow out along the flutes of the drill bit. In other words away from the object.

Old 01-07-21, 05:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
When drilling plastic you can do it without a drill motor. Just hold the bit in your hand and turn while pressing. You'll see shavings of plastic come off. Periodically clean them away. Then when you break through stop turning immediately and pull the bit out and you'll get most or all the shavings. You can also use a powered drill but turn the bit very slowly with light to moderate pressure so you don't blast right through the plastic.

Old 01-07-21, 07:02 AM
R
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
A ink jet refill syringe with a metal needle is what I would use. Heat up the needle and melt a hole in the cover, fill, and seal. I wouldn't be too concerned with the shavings if you were to drill it open since the plug appears to be white and any shavings that got inside would look like the snowflakes already in there anyway. My bigger concern would be where the water is escaping in the first place, if you don't find that you will have the same problem again over time.

Old 01-07-21, 07:06 AM
My bigger concern would be where the water is escaping in the first place, if you don't find that you will have the same problem again over time.
Over many, many years this is typical. The water will eventually evaporate very, very slowly thought the material. Even a closed loop radiator system will eventually need a recharge.

Old 01-19-21, 07:24 AM
J
done!

I went with the drill hole option and it worked great! Thank you for taking the time to offer options. left empty room at the top for bubbles to escape. Just used distilled water which I put in with a syringe we had around for pilling our cats.

2john02458, Norm201, Pilot Dane voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: