what to do with ceiling?

Old 04-15-02, 05:27 AM
margosuperstar
Visiting Guest
Question what to do with ceiling?

Hello to all.. I'm here to get some advice and maybe inspiration! I finally worked up the courage to paint my master bedroom a very dark color. I went from white to a cross between cranberry and maroon. I love it , however what can I do with the ceiling? The room is square approx. 15 by 15 ft. Just regular ceiling, not vaulted or anything. It's also a popcorn ceiling. I've thought about getting rid of the popcorn and then painting it , but I'm not sure if I'm up to that! Any ideas anyone ????

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-02, 07:07 PM
Griffinmyth
Visiting Guest
Ceiling decor

What you can do since you have a 15 x 15 bedroom .. is create a box on the ceiling with molding, "I am to the understanding that you do not have a canopy bed " .. paint it the same color as your moldings now .. then paint the outer part of the box on the ceiling with a shade or two lighter than the wall leaving the middle of the box white ... this will draw your eye up and make the ceiling appear larger. You can also use a medallion on your fan or chandelier in your room, too this will give your ceiling depth ... ... you don't have to take down the popcorn, just get a roller that is for semi-rough surfaces to paint over the popcorn ... any questions ... let me know ...

Old 04-16-02, 07:22 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hey there! And welcome to my 'world'....

You certainly don't need to take your popcorn off, but if you chose to, it is fairly simple. Just make sire you cover everything in the room with a disposable plastic drop. You will want to wet your ceiling throughly and then scrape away! It should come off easily if it is wet enough. If not, add water. You can then roll up your drop and toss it!
You will then want to primer (if there isn't a primer underneath) before you paint of course.
As to color. You can do several things. Either painting a few shades lighter then your walls, or a coordinating- but different color are probably the two most popular things to do. We personally have a dark rose colored dining room with an almost periwinkle ceiling. The colors complement each other, make the ceiling look higher and at the same time relax the feeling of the room so as not to be overpowering. That is our favorite way to pair up colors in one room. Using a dramatically lighter color in any shade will do that - including white.

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions, would be glad to do what I can!

Old 04-19-02, 11:32 AM
margosuperstar
Visiting Guest
Talking re: ceiling

Wow great suggestions .... I think I'm gonna leave the popcorn on and paint right over it!!! Then maybe try the molding ... thanx again