Cat 5 Wiring

Old 11-04-02, 07:49 PM
Lito
Visiting Guest
Cat 5 Wiring

Hi everyone,
I just bought a house and I was wondering how hard it would be to run some Cat5e from the basement to 3 other rooms 2 floors above. The walls are all finished except for the basement. I'm not looking for info on what to buy in terms of Cat5e wire, outlets, etc., but what to buy to route the wires through the walls. I was planning on running them next to the coaxial cables in the house, since they all end up in the area I want my switch to be in the basement. Any ideas, tips, websites? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-02, 06:28 AM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
There's a tip on the main website for running wires - I haven't read it, so don't know how helpful it will be.

Do you have some central area that you can run wires through between floors? Snaking through two floors is... well... difficult. It's best if there's a hollow space somewhere in your house that extends through all 3 floors - then you can run a length of PVC pipe through it to act as a conduit.

You'll probably want a wire snake ($25-50 at a big box store), and some small rope/twine. And a lot of patience.

Old 11-05-02, 08:40 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might consider running the cable through the HVAC duct work or alongside it. It seems like an idea.

Old 11-05-02, 11:57 AM
tomv
Visiting Guest
I've done it
1. get the cat5e cable
2. if money is not a major problem, the plenum cable is much easier to pull (teflon coated for fire resistance) and can be installed in the heating ducts.
3. be carefull of the bending radius and that there are no kinks.
4. You can go up the return air duct and then in the attic and then down to the second floor
5. for the lower floor, make a box sized hole in the wall and use a flexable drill extension to drill a pilot to the basement.
6. again, look at the cost here, but wall plates and jacks are more professional for the switch side, you can pit jacks on the wires, but I recommend a patch panel

Good luck, I'll keep an eye on this if you have questions

Old 11-05-02, 04:50 PM
Lito
Visiting Guest
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to take a stab at this tomorrow evening. Wish me luck!

Old 11-14-04, 08:00 PM
Vic P
Visiting Guest
Red face Been There, Done That

The main floor is the easiest. When it gets to the upper floors it can be a pain. After doing it once I would only do the main floor if the basement is not finished for the ease of running the wires and the second floor if there is a return air vent to run the wires.

I have now found that wireless is cheaper and less frustrating.

Old 12-03-04, 10:25 AM
S
skl
Get bundled cables. They come with multi cat5 or cat6 along with rg6 cable. Use existing cable to pull lines to each location.

Old 01-04-05, 07:13 PM
I came upon this thread long after you've probably done it. I agree with the other poster, go wireless! I spent hours routing cat 5 cable and hooking up the %&(*)@#%^& plugs on the end. Now I have wireless and all that wiring work is gathering cobwebs.

A wireless B router can be had for dirt cheap, even a wireless G is only $50 or so. The cards have come way down in price too.

Old 01-09-05, 10:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you said the walls were in, but you had access in the basement?.. does that mean you have access to the underside of the base of each of the walls where you intend to have the cat5 wiring?.. if so, then the coax cable exits out of a hole in the ceiling of the basement somewhere for each of these walls?.. if so... undo the coax for each of the outlets above, one at a time, tie on a pull cord, pull it back down to the basement and tie on your cat5 cable.. repull back to the outlet above and put in a dual service jack cover..