Phone distribution blocks

Old 01-13-03, 02:07 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Phone distribution blocks

Hi there,

I've been trying to figure out which device to use to split my incoming phone line(s) out to each room. I'm using a home run or star topography wiring scheme with patch bays. Each output from my phone distribution block will connect to a 110-type terminal on the back of the patch panel. An RJ-45 connector on the front of the patch panel will accept a CAT5 cable from one of the rooms.

I have seen several wiring blocks out there, but the ones with built-in bridging seem pretty clunky. I like the style of Leviton's 66-type 25-pair M-Block, but there is no internal bridging. I feel like a bunch of little bridges from row to row would be both error-prone and detrimental to the quality of the network. Leviton also has a 50-pair 110 Distribution Block, but I can't get a good feel for how the 110 connectors are internally bridged. ETCON's DD1 or DD3 might do the trick, but it will be more difficult to fit into my wiring "closet."

Is there an industry standard for splitting a single phone line into 12-16 outputs to be run through a house? How are phone networks in new houses built...daisy chained? If not, what kind of distributor is used?

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-03, 06:51 PM
C
Sorry, chfite, that URL is not useful. I don't see how it is helpful to DIYers at all. It's just an ad for a company.

Last edited by SafeWatch; 01-18-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-25-03, 02:06 AM
rothglenn
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb PHONE LINES

i'VE BEEN A PHONE INSTALLER/REPAIRMAN FOR 25 YEARS. You're definately going over board here! I've done it in my house. Use your 66 block and daisy chain using a "Punch down" tool to terminate cables. If you want to be able to open connection up use a bridging clip on each connection. Don't go crazy with this. It's only a "pots" line not data.

Old 01-25-03, 09:07 AM
L
I did eventually find some information in that site that explained how to bridge a punchdown block to make it a distribution block.

I don't like the bridging idea because of the increased points of failure and the loss of quality with each bridge wire. Even though this is POTS, I'm running my DSL connection over it for now

I finally found a good datacom supply place near here and went to see what they had (or could suggest). They had to Etcon DD1s sitting in a bin. They're not very slick looking, but they get the job done. They'll split 4 pair (from one CAT5 input) to 48 outs (12 per input pair).

The counter clerk didn't recognize the product. His boss didn't recognize it either. They were doubtful that I found them in their store. They decided it was some promotional item they had been sent, so they rang it up for $2.50. On the net, these things go for $29.50+! That saved me enough money to buy a Leviton 8-way, 11db loss video splitter.

Thanks for your help, guys.