2 prong outlet want 3?

Old 03-24-00, 02:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Can anyone tell me how to change the outlets in my houes, circa 1953....i have a 100 amp circuit breaker system, but looking to change all the outlets from just 2 prongs to 3 prongs so that I may have a ground...tired of using adapters....any suggestions?

Old 03-24-00, 04:43 PM
Visiting Guest
hello Merriam,
you have several choices on this.
1. just replace the outlets with grounded outlets , but they will not be grounded.
2. rewire the outlets and install grounded outlets.
3. install a gfci outlet on first outlet in circuit hooking the incomeing from panel to the line on gfci and the outgoing line to the load on gfci, thus provideing ground fault protection to entire circuit, and then install grounded outlets on remander of circuit. still not grounded but safe

Old 04-13-00, 10:17 AM
Visiting Guest
The National Electric Code allows you to replace the first outlet of a circuit with a GFCI receptacle and 3 wire outlets downstream marked "GFCI Protected and No equpment ground", replace each device with a GFCI receptacle and mark with "No equipment ground", Run a ground wire to each individual box from an approved grounding source and install 3 wire devices or completely rewire with a 3 wire NM cable (Romex).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: