Old Cable

Old 04-30-00, 11:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Some of the cable in this house is that old cloth covered black stuff. Is it dangerous if not frayed? Also the receptale for the dryer is near the floor. This bothers me. What if the washer drain should back up and water gets down there when the dryer is running. I beleive I bought the correct cable to replace and reposition that recepticle but am not too eager to deal with the 220 line.

Old 05-01-00, 09:16 AM
Visiting Guest
It doesn't matter if the dryer is running or not. That recepticle has 220V on it all the time. Your best option, in my opinion, is to get an overflow pan to put under the washer and route a drain hose from that pan to someplace safe. If you really want to move the dryer recepticle, then you will need to run a whole new line from the breaker box to avoid having a junction box with wires in it where the recepticle is now. I suppose you could use an outdoor type "waterproof" junction box in that spot.

Old 05-01-00, 05:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

For the best preventative bang for the buck, install a good set of braided steel, reinforced supply lines (and the pan).

[This message has been edited by Jacksprat (edited May 01, 2000).]

Old 05-01-00, 07:26 PM
Visiting Guest
hello pete,
as long as the cabel is in good condition it presents no danger, i c this type of cabel every day on service calls and as long as its intact we leave it alone. as to moveing the dryer recep, if u decide u cant live with it as is then run total new cabel from panel, working with 220 is no diferent then 110 same princabel applys. in the breaker panel turn off the breaker and no power is on the line, thus no chance of being zaped.

Old 05-03-00, 02:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the great responses. I will leave the non frayed old black cable alone. But the dryer recepticle I will move. I saw underthe house a circuit box half way to the dryer. I think I can replace from there instead of the fuse box.

The washer pan is a good idea. I hope I can position it so it also captures water that might come from the drain on the wall if that ever got clogged.

Thanks again, very much

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: