Wiring 230v motor to switch--was 115v

Old 06-14-00, 07:05 AM
Visiting Guest
I have converted motor to 230v based on motor wiring instruction (switched some wires). This motor is reversible for a boat lift. I have four wires from switch to motor, one black(T1 on swithc) to L1 on motor, one white(T2 on switch) to middle terminal, one red (T8 on switch) to motor red wire, one orange (T9 on switch) to black wire to motor. Also on switch are terminals 6 and 10 which are jumpered to T8 and T9 respectively.
Then on input (power source) to switch I have L2, T7 and T11 which are all jumpered and L1, T5 and T9 which are all jumpered.

How do I wire this for 230v from my GFI breaker?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-00, 08:13 AM
Visiting Guest
I finally got the wires straight between switch and motor. So now the simple question is how do I wire from breaker to switch?

Old 06-14-00, 05:29 PM
Visiting Guest
hello chezhed,
i hope u used a double pole singel throw switch for this, this is the only switch that u can use on 220. now how to wire from breaker to switch, from a double pole breaker connect of proper amprage, connect a 2 wire of proper size (10 for 30,12 for 20, 14 for 15)connect the white and black to the breaker and white to 1 side of double pole singel throw switch and black to other, and bare to groud bar and green screw on switch if present.on the other 2 screws on the switch r for the load 1 leg goes to 1 side and other to other.

Old 06-16-00, 03:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks sprky, you confirmed my suspicions. And yeah, I got the right breaker and even the right wire size for it!!!

Old 06-19-00, 01:57 PM
Visiting Guest
You do know about motor reversing switches,
don't you?

Old 06-20-00, 09:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Well, I am not sure. The switches for my motors have off-down-up. So I guess they are reversing switches.
What I would like to do now is have those switches available as alternates so that I can operate each motor independently when I want but also have ANOTHER SWITCH wired so that I can use it to operate both motors simultaneously. Any way I can do this? And to top it off, I want to have this switch on a cord that plugs into a twist/lock type receptacle so I can remove it and thus make the other switches 'hot' and the single switch be the only hot one when it is plugged in.

Old 06-20-00, 04:37 PM
Visiting Guest
hello chezhed,
ok the 100,000 dollor ? why would u want to go to all that expence and time to do all of that whin u allready have a set of working switches that will do every thing u want. if u install both switches adjacent to each other u can raise and lower both sides at the same time. what u r wanting to do is verry doabel but it requires contactors and relays to do, which r not cheap and becides doing it this way i recomend u call an electrician to do this 4 u as controll circuits r not easy to wire. if something was to get crossed u could end up frying the hole system. let me put it to you this way on my fatherinlaws boat house he has 3 lifts all working off 2 switches 1 for up and 1 for down all running off 220. i spent over 3 hours explaining and drawing a wireing diagram for him and still ended up going up there and doing it my self.