Telephone modular wiring

Old 09-17-00, 07:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm installing modular data wiring in preparation for a DSL install. I'm using Leviton modular jacks which I got at Home Depot. I currently have two phone lines which I had planned to wire to two of the 6-wire modular jacks. The modules have punch down connections. I thought I could wire standard 2-pair to one jack and then attach a second 2 pairs of wires to another jack with the pairs reversed. The second wires punched down in the jack don't seem to make proper contact. Are these jacks designed for end runs only? Do I need to install a small punch down block? I've used G-R and B-Y on first jack and connected G to B, R to Y, B to G, and Y to R from the first jack to the second jack.

Old 09-18-00, 07:41 PM
Visiting Guest
hello l-speth,
if im understanding your post correctly u r trying to put 2 wires on the same punchdown terminal. if this in deead is the case this is why 1 of them dont make proper connection. punchdown terminals r desinged to only except 1 wire.
since u r running for dsl i recomend u run seperat lines to each jack, and use cat 5 cabel

Old 09-19-00, 08:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks sprky,

Yes, that is what I was trying to do. My DSL connection is handled by a CAT5 ethernet connection to a hub. What I'm trying to do here is connect up the phone line connections and when I added the ethernet cable I went to a modular 4 plug from a screw tap dual phone jack. What would be common practice? Do people run home runs back to the demarkation point for each phone line pair? For phone lines are both pairs always connected to each jack or would you only do this in the case where you were going to use a dual line phone. Since I bought 500ft. of CAT5 cable I have cable to burn. I just want to do it the right and best way.

Larry

Old 09-19-00, 04:23 PM
Visiting Guest
hello lary,
the best way is to run a seperat home run for each cabel.
phone lines only use 2 wires to operate. i have run cat 5 and then split it up into 2 seperat lines for the phone useing 4 wires for each line, do this only for direct phone lines not the dsl, i have found that dsl runs much better on its on line, not shaired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: