Pre-wiring suggestions...

Old 05-26-03, 09:36 PM
bubblay
Visiting Guest
Pre-wiring suggestions...

I'm going to be moving into a condo (in the process of being built) and was wondering on how I should go about pre-wiring my living room and possibly Master Bedroom.

My plan was to have all my devices (DVD/Sat Rec./CD Player/etc.) connected to my Audio/Video Reciever/Amp; then I'd like to connect the Reciever into a wall plate that had connections to the Mains A/B; L/R surround; Center; sub. From these connections I'd like to string the wire (I've read that 14 gauge would be the way to go) to the locations of where the speakers would be and connect them to in-wall (or in-floor for the surrounds if possible) audio jacks. Then connect the speakers to the jacks. I'd also like to add a Headphone connection behind the couch (could that be possible?). Also I'd like to add a network connection from the MB to the spare bedroom. I'd need a cross-over cable but is there a specific type I'd need for in-wall?.

I was also thinking I would like to have a T.V in the Master Bedroom along with speakers for watching a movie or just listening to the CD player. Would I just have to add a couple more connections to the wall plate one being an S-Vid or Co-axe and others being speaker connections?

Any suggestions or improvements on my ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-03, 12:51 PM
Somekid
Visiting Guest
Sounds interesting...
I've done something like this in my condo (i put a cable outlet in a room that didn't have one, and I made a computer network (with UTP cat-5 cable, and ethernet jacks in every room, looks very professional.))

It's possible, but, condo's aren't very good for DIY'ers; some walls are made of concrete, some you share with the neighbors.

I had to run the wire under the carpet. If you can, ask the builders if you can come in and do some wiring of your own when they are doing your unit.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...90155&pad=true