Audio wiring


Old 10-21-03, 10:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Audio wiring

The house that i just bought is about 6 years old. I am planning to rig up all the sound systems to link together so that i can play the same music, from any of four different sources, throughout the whole house.
What kind of wiring is best to use to transfer the audio signals? I am sending analog stereo signals that will connect at either end with RCA connectors. The wires will be going between rooms on the basement, first and second floors. Since there are no pre-existing conduits, I will probably have to route them through the basement and attic.
I have found sources for long RCA cables (50ft+) but they are really expensive and I am not sure if they are shielded enough to protect the signal over such a long path through my walls. I figure that i can use better shielded wires of some sort and just attach RCA plugs to the ends, but I am not sure what wire to choose to get the most bang for my buck.
Any suggestions on what to choose (and where to get the best deal buying it) would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-03, 07:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Audio wiring

I read your post several time. Let me get this straight. You have speakers and audio sources located in 4 different areas of the house, or just speakers?

If you have a single audio source with multiple rooms that you want wired for that sound but want to control it individually in each room then install a volume control switch on the wall that connects to your main amp and the speakers in that room. You can find plenty of wire and controls up on eBay.

If you have several audio output devices that you want to be able to play from to anywhere in the house you have a wiring nightmare. I'm not sure how you plan on or why you would have output devices cross connected. Obviously these output devices are not optically enabled. If they were you would not have to worry about distortion or line loss. Shielded wire is only necessary for areas that have high concentrations of radio noise interference. Like from florescent ballast lights, microwave, cell phones, wireless phones, motors, and electronic ignition on ovens and furnaces. Even some computers and cable boxes put out radio waves. A quality stranded wire (twisted helps) is best if you don't have to worry about too much interference. Otherwise a shielded twisted pair wire that is 18 gauge or larger. Again, check eBay. I picked up a 4 pair 14AWG to use on an intercom system. Overkill for my application.

For speaker wires, again, a stranded twisted wire is the best.

In my house I wired each room with #10awg gas permeable stranded wire to a volume control and to the speakers in that room. All wires come to a distribution panel that my amp is wired to. The amp gets its feed from which ever device I choose from, but they are all co-located in the same cabinet. Same thing for the home theater surround sound.
Old 10-24-03, 04:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 2,691
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Of course, if you want multiple sources, you could do the same thing - just wire everything back to 1 receiver and use it to select which device you want to listen to.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: