Home Speakers

Old 11-27-03, 05:50 AM
Georgia Girl
Visiting Guest
Speaker Installation in Prewired Home

Our new home was pre-wired to the max. My only beef is our low voltage sub is charging us $500 per speaker (includes hook-up). Is this normal? Seems like all they do is take off faceplate, hook up speaker, stuff in ceiling (or wherever) then put little volume knob somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-03, 06:34 AM
Duckman_wi
Visiting Guest
Speaker hookup

My question is what type of speaker did you purchase? Speakers can run from $10 to $1000 just for the speaker. If they sold you the speaker, they obviously will make a profit on the speaker itself, then they will charge you an installation fee. This sounds like a fixed cost per speaker which means they estimated how long to do the job and depending on the vendor they probably have a typical $60 - $120 per hour rate.

Since this forum is a DIY, why not buy the speakers yourself (shop around, use e-Bay to compare or buy), and put them in yourself. Find a friend who can help you if you're not quite technical enough to do it. The speakers I put in retail for $300 each. I got them for $125.

Old 11-27-03, 11:59 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
$500 each seems stiff It's better that you buy/chose/install what speakers go in yourself--more than likely, you can get a better price, but you can also match them to your other speakers if you running them in conjunction with a home theater setup. If they're used just for background music, just about anything will work for *far* less than $500 each.

The builder was charging $250 each for an 8" round who-knows-what brand speaker 3yrs ago when our house was being built. That didn't include prewiring. Like duckman-wi, I put better units in myself for a lot less $$.

Is your faceplate a cutout for an actual speaker or just a junction box with a speaker cable inside?

If the latter, you might have to cut sheetrock and pry out the junction box to fit the speakers. Easy--if you're not squirmish about cutting holes in the ceiling :-)

Old 11-28-03, 07:08 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
$500 bucks each is insane - most in-wall/in-ceiling speakers run less than $100 each.

I would say, either install the speakers yourself - or wait until after close and hire someone to come in and do it at about half that price for you. There are plenty of contractors in the Atlanta/West GA area (Carrollton, I assume?) that will give you a much, much better deal. You don't have to use the builder's guys.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-03, 07:51 AM
V
From the description it sound like they're install a room of music, right? Two speakers and a volume control can easily run over $300 for parts alone. $250 for a pair of mid-level speakers (JBL) and $80 for a basic (Sonnance) impedenace matching volume control. If you have better speakers or fancier volume control (integrated remote control signal or an ABUS system) the costs could easily be even more then $500 just for parts.

Also, most systems allow for 4-5 rooms to be wired in before additional equipment is installed at the central location, so perhaps they have had to expand that?

Now, if they're installing bargain-basement speakers and a really cheap volume control, then $500 might be unreasonable.

If you choose to DIY (and the wiring aspect of this, if the wire is already in the walls, is very simple) expect for pay about $350 for decent parts.