Speakers to an old home

Old 12-03-03, 08:12 PM
dsiegris
Visiting Guest
Question Speakers to an old home

I have a nice TV. I have a nice sound system. My TV room isn't large enough to put decent speakers to hear movies as I want to hear them. My wallet isn't big enough to buy the cool small systems, either. I want to put the speakers in the wall, but what happens when the room gets reorganized? Also, if the tv is in the corner, the couch is against a wall, the chairs span the center walk way, how does one get the noise to sound even remotely balanced or "correct?" Is the only way to get true cinema sound to set your room up with the couch and chairs in line in the center of the room and not pleasing to a woman? I would live with it, but she won't. I don't even need to ask.
Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-03, 07:36 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Having professionally installed low-voltage systems, I've seen a large number of "compromise" solutions where the TV is located in a corner. That said, I'd never do it myself. The imaging will only be effective towards the other corner of the room, if at all.

And if you rearranced things at all, you'd be completely out of luck.

You say that a cool mini-system is out of your budget? Just what is your budget? Even base-line acceptable quality in-wall/ceiling speakers will cost you $250/pair, or $500 for a 5.1 system or $750 for a 6.1 (sold only in pairs at retail outlets, from professional installer you can get singles, but that's because they split a set knowing they will sell the other speaker to the next guy).

Unless you and your wife can configure the room for optimal speaker locations and can live with it remaining that way forever, I wouldn't recommend builtin speakers.

Old 12-05-03, 01:18 PM
dsiegris
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down $

See, I have everything except the built in speakers. But, I haven't even had the system hooked up for a year because when we moved into this house, the corner was the only location that we can put the TV. We have a narrow livingroom (TV room) and have large furniture (previously had very large room to fit large furniture). So, until this furniture goes south, I can't really move things as I'd need.

Thanks.

Old 12-09-03, 07:02 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you're really set on built-in speakers, why not just wire an identical speaker from the ceiling in each corner? Or for that matter, put in another speaker in the ceiling corner midway between each wall. No matter how you rearrange your room, all you have to do is reassign which speakers will do what and adjust your balance accordingly.

Only hard part then is deciding which wall gets all of the wires routed to a box...