This old wired house.

Old 12-28-03, 02:23 PM
oopicmaster
Visiting Guest
This old wired house.

I have a wired house.

I did all of the wiring myself. I ran cat5e and video to all the rooms in the house.

All of the wiring terminates at a patch panel in my furnace room...

Now what?

I definitely enjoy the computer networking, and the options a wired house provides for video/etc. However, now that my house is wired I need to take it to the next level... which is... installing a system for various control and monitoring applications. Here are some of the things I have in mind...

1) A centralized file server to provide mp3 storage. Then in each room, a dedicated (low end 233mhz max) computer for playing mp3s

2) A centralized monitoring computer for video surveillence control, and integrated security system...

My question is this... Does anyone know of any off the shelf systems that I can install to get this functionality? Or, am I going to have to design and build it myself (I have 18 years computer programming experience)?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-04, 07:51 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE/ITI makes a line of Structured Wiring panels (GESmart) that allows you to centralize your phone, cable/satellite, video, audio, and networking and security into one panel. It also has an optional file server - but, IMO, you're better off setting up your own server (their's is not exactly cheap and they say it's somewhat difficult to setup.)

Good luck!

Old 01-05-04, 09:06 AM
oopicmaster
Visiting Guest
I Already have everything terminated at a patch panel.... what I need (I guess) is the equipment/software to control everything. For example... video switching, networked alarm system, lighting control, Infrared device control, etc. Id like to have a completely integrated package so that from any computer connected to the network, I can control, and monitor whatever features I have available.

Old 01-05-04, 09:49 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, if you don't mind spending the money on it, the GE Advent Home Navigator would offer the control and convenience you are looking for. It integrates home security with home automation and access control. It uses a special RS-232 protocol to communicate with several other third-party applications and hardware also - so integrating other equipment is possible, like AMX, Crestron, and a few others. These companies offer many of the products you're looking for - like light control, audio/video control, remote/IR controls, etc.

I would have to do some more research, but I'm sure there is plenty of software out there that could be used to automate and control all of this hardware too.

Hope that helps.

For a little more info, take a look at GE's website at:
http://64.49.194.64/products/homenav.jsp