New to home automation

Old 02-17-04, 08:23 AM
1saspaki
Visiting Guest
New to home automation

I am in a process of building a new home. I want to install a automation system where I can control lights, security system, survillence system, sprinklers, audio/video etc from one central location and from remote location.
Which system I can use to get all these features and do it myself.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-04, 06:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try a web site like www.smarthome.com. They have several home automation systems. (also search on key words like "X10" and you will open up a whole new world of home automation.

For me, I bought a system called "Stargate" 8 years ago and it will do everything you mention except survilllence.

Old 02-17-04, 11:50 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
SmartHome is somewhat expensive - try searching Google for Leviton, GE Smart, OnQ, Home Director, FutureSmart - many others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

SmartHome does have a pretty decent educational site - Also take a look at <a href="http://www.diyautomation.com">DIYAutomation.com</a> - they have an excellent site, just not as many products online.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-04, 08:37 PM
sushrut
Visiting Guest
If you are building a new home from scratch, I would highly recommend using smart home wiring. Homewell has some products and there are tons of other companies on smarthome, smarthomeusa,etc.

If you have a built home, go to www.x10.com. Their customer service is AMAZING. If any product stops working upto ONE year from it's purchase date, they will replace it no questions asked.

Installing is as simple as plugging the lamp into a X10 outlet and the outlet to your wall outlet. Or replacing a switch with a X10 switch. Very cheap also.

Cheers

Old 05-13-04, 09:55 AM
E
X10 has some really great items at very reasonable prices. I ordered me a home automation system for $99. Can't wait to get it and connect it.

Old 06-25-04, 03:28 PM
irsean
Visiting Guest
A full x-10 system is ok for hobbyists. I would look at a total solutions package, like HAI or OnQ. The HMS systems (Home Management Systems) are well worth the investment. I prefer the OnQ HMS (made by HAI) because it has opted to added some options that comparable systems may not have. As far x10, it's a battle with good signal strength. If I decide to do any x10, I always add a phase coupler-repeater at the Elec. Box (also a whole house surge protector is not a bad idea as well). But I will always say that dedicated and hardwired system is more reliable than PLC technology. If you don't want to spend that much then x10 is probably ok but, have fun with your new hobby.

Old 06-28-04, 11:30 AM
irsean
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by SafeWatch
SmartHome does have a pretty decent educational site - Also take a look at <a href="http://www.diyautomation.com">DIYAutomation.com</a> - they have an excellent site, just not as many products online.

They actually have tons of product there. You have to sign up for an account (site account, not purchasing account). Once you have username password, they will let you search their site for anything in stock. I get all my OnQ and various other products there. They also have excellent online traing. Even if you just want to know a little bit more about the professional HAI industry.