HAl LT question

Old 03-14-04, 08:49 PM
TPPT
Visiting Guest
HAl LT question

Hey. I am looking at purchasing a HAl LT system. I was reading the manual for the installation, and i do not understand ANY of the "lingo" ( end resistors, omh, open/closed regular, ect) i guess i just need to understand how to install a security system. Any help? Also, is anyone familiar with the HAl systems?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-04, 12:59 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HAI (Home Automation Inc.) is very good equipment. However, it may not be a good system to start with. If you're not familiar with basic electrical terminology, some of the advanced installer programming may be way over your head (it's over many technician's heads.)

To get you started:

EOL (End-of-Line) resistors - these are literally just resistors that are installed in the zone loops to allow the system to supervise each loop. They are called EOL because, they <i>should</i> be (but not always are) installed at the End of the Line (the last device in the line.) This allows the best supervision of the line.

Normally Open/Normally Closed - this just describes the type of device (or contact) you are connecting to the loop. Normally Closed means that in the Normal state (no energy to the relay, or a closed door or window) the relay or switch is closed. Normally Open means in the Normal state, the relay or switch is opened.
NC devices are typically used for door/window contacts, motions, glassbreaks, etc.
NO devices are typically used for smoke or heat detection.
The device's instructions will tell you NO or NC - some can use either.

Ohms are not really important (in most situations), as long as you use the correct size resistor for the EOL's - they typically come with the system anyway. The sizes are measured in Ohms - 1k, 2.6k, 5k, etc.

You may want to look at the GE/ITI Concord panels, or something a little easier to understand and program.