Garage Door Light Bulbs

Old 06-04-04, 04:29 PM
toootall2002
Visiting Guest
Angry Garage Door Light Bulbs

1 year ago, I installed a Genie automatic garage door opener. Initially, I used standard light bulbs but they burned out within 3 months. 3 weeks ago, I decided to buy GE "garage door opener bulbs" that appeared to be stout. During installation of the 2 bulbs, I made sure that I didnt touch the bulds with my fingers.
Both bulbs lasted less than 3 weeks!!!
I had a similar problem on my last house too but this house is really eating the bulbs faster.

Any ideas??

Thanks from Indianapolis!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-04, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try any of the following: Ceiling fan bulbs, bulbs rated for 130 volts or compact fluorescent bulbs. I have the same problem and the special "GDO" bulbs I got burned out the fastest too. I haven't found a compact fluorescent bulb that will screw all the way into the socket on my Sears GDO, but you may find one for your Genie. That will solve the problem for sure. I have a big bag of old bulbs I've just been putting in to get rid of and somehow I've gotten a good one this time that's been in place for several months. Once the bag is empty I'll get back to trying to find a real solution.

Doug M.

Old 09-19-04, 09:08 AM
elmo
Visiting Guest
I'm no lighting professional, but here's a few ideas to investigate.

If the vibration is too much for the filaments in the bulbs, even the "rough service" bulbs. Someone else mentioned compact flourescent. That might work. I've got one that burned out recently - I will see about trying the CF. If you have a cover over the bulb, you may have to remove it to fit the bulb. Another option - you've seen the worklights that are on the end of an extension cord? Screw in an adaptor so you can plug the worklight into the GDO, then hang the worklight nearby. Might not be attractive, but it won't get any vibration!