stupid conduit question

Old 09-17-04, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stupid conduit question

hi,

I've got a question regarding using PVC conduit for running cat5 cable for phone/data.
I want to put a piece of 2 1/2" conduit from the attic down to the basement to run wires through...
This might be a dumb question, but what is the best way to secure the conduit in place?
I have been reading around the forum and people say run conduit, but I can't find much info on how it is actually properly done...
It seems like if I drill the holes large enough to run the conduit, there will be nothing to hold the stuff in place
any advice would be graciously accepted.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-04, 07:53 PM
You can use conduit straps to hold the conduit in place.

Old 11-08-04, 12:27 AM
Is that one 2" conduit or two " conduits? A 2" conduit, aside from being an odd size, is very large for anything inside a normal dwelling especially if it's little phone & data wires, unless you have a huge mess of them. I would think that a 1" pipe would be more than enough (but I don't know exactly what you're planning to put in it). If you were to fill a 1" pipe and needed more, you could add another 1" pipe later. As for installation, you drill holes, feed the pipe and strap it with conduit straps as mentioned earlier. Riser clamps can be used to secure pipe on flooring.

Isn't everything wireless these days anyway?

Just my 2 cents,

-Steve G

Last edited by steve_gro; 11-10-04 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-17-04, 07:22 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
I ran 32 lines in conduit from attic to basement (phone, data, cable) (2" or 3", i don't remember). It's easy and mine was 28 ft tall.

To finish the project off, I used conduit straps. The problem was the space the 90 degree bend made left the pipe away from the wall. I used 2"x2" blocks to space the conduit out and used lag bolts in to the board siding/framing. Seal the entry and exit points of the attic. Paint the sucker the same color as your house and wallah... you have a structure that is solid and looks like a weird radon system .

Good Luck!

Old 12-28-04, 07:14 PM
most size of 2 hole straps are available or make your own from plumbers tape,

but do not run low voltage wires, t.v. / Audio/ speaker etc. and high voltage in the same conduit 120 volt a/c for example.

lol steve