Pre-wiring

Old 09-17-04, 11:40 AM
GOAWAY113
Visiting Guest
Question Pre-wiring

I just bought my first house...previous owners did not make many upgrades/repairs. Our first major project will be to redo the den. I'm planning on gutting the entire room down to the studs and rebuilding it from there.

Here are my initial thoughts of what to run. I would appreciate any tips/suggestions/corrections!

RUN:
-POWER WIRES TO NEW OUTLETS, SWITCHES, & CEILING LIGHTS (SHOULD I UPGRADE EXISTING POWER WIRES RUNNING TO EXISTING OUTLETS?)
-COAX CABLE FOR ROOF ANTENNA (RADIO RECEPTION)
-COAX CABLE FOR FUTURE INSTALLATION OF CCTV (SECURITY CAMERAS)
-A/V CABLES & WIRES
-SPEAKER WIRES-SURROUND SOUND
-WIRING FOR INTERCOM (ANY SUGGESTION ON A GOOD LOW-COST SYSTEM??)
-TELEPHONE WIRES
-DATA WIRES (SHOULD I HARDWIRE TO HOME OFFICE UPSTAIRS OR GO WIRELESS??)
-ARE THERE ANY OTHER WIRES I SHOULD RUN TO MAKE THE HOUSE READY FOR ANY FUTURE TECHNOLOGIES??

INSTALL
-NEW OUTLETS
-NEW PHONE JACKS
-SPEAKER WIRE WALL PLATES
-DATA WIRE WALL PLATES
-COAX WALL PLATES
-NEW LIGHT SWITCHES

ON A SIDE NOTE, ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR SOUNDPROOFING THE WALLS & CEILING (WE'LL BE WATCHING LOUD MOVIES IN THE ROOM)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY TIPS/SUGGESTIONS/CORRECTIONS THAT ANYONE MAY HAVE TO OFFER!!

-MIKE

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-04, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mike,

here's a couple thoughts -

A second coax cable to the roof for your future UHF antenna you will want for Over-The-Air DT and HD channels. Most all STB's (cable or Satellite) have an antenna input for OTA HD processing.

If you ever may consider a Satellite dish, run two extra RG6 coax's from your den to a central location on the southwest side of house.

fred

Old 09-17-04, 05:14 PM
GOAWAY113
Visiting Guest
Question

Originally Posted by fewalt
A second coax cable to the roof for your future UHF antenna you will want for Over-The-Air DT and HD channels. Most all STB's (cable or Satellite) have an antenna input for OTA HD processing.fred
????

I've never heard of this...is this something I can try out right now or do I need to sign up for the HDTV service in order to get the OTA HD?

Old 09-17-04, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, if you've got a HDTV, you're 90 percent there.

You'll need some type of receiver(STB for set top box). Usually that would be in the form of a digital cable box capable of HD or an HD satellite receiver.
In those two cases you probably would need to subscribe to an HD package.
The digital OTA and HD signals are just a bonus. But in most cases it does require an outside UHF antenna coaxed to the receiver. (sometimes an inside antenna will work).

I do believe there are STB's just for processing OTA HD. But they will probably be in the $300 dollar range.

Might as well get a get HD cable or a dish and subscribe to the HD package for 10 bucks a month over the standard subscription. The above 300 is 30 months of HD!!

Here's a couple sites to check out:

http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/forumdisplay.php?f=384?

http://www.antennaweb.org
Enter your zip code and it will show you directions and distance to towers.
Since you're on Long Island - it looks like most ARE uhf digital channels.
So, whenever ABC, CBS, NBC, et al, broadcasts in HD (usually during prime time and major sporting events on sat/sun, you can switch to OTA for free HD.

go for it,
fred