Running Conduit

Old 11-04-04, 01:26 PM
Ursa_Atlantis
Visiting Guest
Running conduit/vertical races in existing construction

All - Great info in this thread -- lots of good tips and experience.

Does anyone have any suggestions for adding basement-to-attic conduit in an existing house? I've done individual wires before, but in my new home (didn't buy before sheetrock went up) I'd like to install conduit for easier runs in the future. I've identified a couple of good locations, but, since it's a 2 story (plus attic & basement), I need to get through the barrier between floors 1&2. Does anyone have suggestions on an extra-long drill bit (afraid to string together 8+ 12" extensions) for a hole saw?

Any other suggestions on ways to accomplish this?

Thanks.

-J.R.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-04, 05:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
If you are good at measuring and thinking you can drill up from the basement/1st floor with a hole saw into a wall cavity between studs. Then go up in the attic and locate the same wall cavity and drill a hole. Then you can snake a piece of conduit or PVC pipe through the wall cavity.

Locating the walls and the cavity between studs from the attic can be difficult. Look for the nails holding the studs. You can push a thin nail or wire through the sheetrock so you can see where you are.

PS: Try not to drill through any wires or pipes.

Old 11-07-04, 11:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Long drill bits are available; I have a 3/4" x 6' that I've used once every other blue moon, and I have also stacked 3' extensions. I've found that when doing something like this it doesn't hurt to oversize the hole a little. It's hard to get it exactly right under those circumstances. Oversizing the conduit for future needs might come in handy later, and you could add a pull-string in with your wire.

I don't know the layout of your house, but isn't there a place on the exterior that you could tuck a conduit into, perhaps in the back somewhere or alongside a chimney where it wouldn't show?

Old 03-01-05, 06:56 AM
RLLD
Visiting Guest
Code?

Is there a typical code for what type of conduit to use? What size etc?

I am building a new house and I would like to run two PVC pipes, say 3-inch, from basement to attic.

One for data and one for audio/video.

Old 03-01-05, 03:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
I would use the largest size you can fit. If you like to tinker around the house with electronics (alarms, video, networking, audio...) you will be amazed at all the stuff you want to run through the walls.