How to execute windows program when door opens

Old 11-22-04, 01:22 PM
rapsag
Visiting Guest

Hi, I need to activate a flash presentation on a computer with windows XP, when a door opens, so when some one enters a room the presentation starts playing, what do I need and how can I do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-04, 03:30 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
If you don't already know, you are way out of the realm of do-it-yourself. This is most likely highly technical unless you can get a motion sensored circuit that is sold retail. to build it yourself, you should already know

Old 11-22-04, 03:53 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I imagine you could use something as simple as an X-10 motion detector or contact relay. It shouldn't be too difficult - there are many interfaces out there.

Try searching SmartHome.com also.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-04, 03:55 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
The hard part isn't the hardware, it is the interfacing. There are programs out there to start and stop programs but it definitly isn't plug and play.

Old 11-23-04, 12:07 PM
Actually, this is quite simple. The question is, how much money do you want to spend? There are a myriad of home automation programs that work with X10. Using an X10 motion sensor or door switch interfaced to an X10 powerflash module (as SafeWatch suggested) you could output an X10 signal that could be picked up by a CM11A PC interface. From there you simply need to find a home automation program that can execute another program when it sees the X10 signal. The following link lists many programs that can be used with home automation equipment. X10 Home Monitor, for example, would work http://home-automation.org/Software/Windows_and_DOS/

Good luck.

Doug M.

Old 12-03-04, 10:19 AM
S
skl
Or, think of an old time mechanical setup. Try using an infra red mouse wired to the door, jump the button to a door magnetic alarm connection which will close the circuit on the mouse button.