Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Home Automation Systems and Devices
Reload this Page >

Wiring Surround sound in the Basement, can I run speaker wires through the AC Duct?

Wiring Surround sound in the Basement, can I run speaker wires through the AC Duct?

Old 12-07-04, 08:32 AM
PHYMAC
Visiting Guest

Hi guys I am new to this forum but it looks great!

I am wanting to wire a surround sound sytem in the basement but there are a couple of problems because underneath the ceiling the trusses run perpendicular to how I need to run the wires, but there is an ac duct that runs the length of the room that goes in the direction that I need to run the wires. Could I run the wire through the duct and then out to mount them onto the ceiling? Is there anything dangerous with running wires through there, when the heat is on or something?

I am a little stumped on this issue, I welcome any other ideas as well!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-04, 07:03 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
I think I'd drill holes in the trusses to run the wires. You can run them in the heat duct but the problem is, on your entrance and exit points you could potentially cut/short out the wire on the sharp metal.

Old 01-03-05, 12:04 PM
irsean
Visiting Guest
The only wire rated to go through ducting is plenum. (Anything you get must be plenum rated ($$$)

Old 01-07-05, 08:08 AM
rotochmp
Visiting Guest
Red face Drilling holes through trusses (single or double)

Is there any problem with running speaker wires (say for rear speakers) through the same holes that I've drilled through my basement trusses? I was concerned that there could be interference as they run together through a tight space. Would I be better off running them through separate holes as I lead them form the edge of the room to the middle of the room where I would separate them to run to their respective speakers?

Just wondering,

MJF