Running video cable

Old 12-13-04, 07:45 PM
cybersaga
Visiting Guest
Running video cable

My wife and I are moving into a house soon, and I'm planning on running network cable through the house. I also want to run some kind of video cable from a room on the second floor to the living room on the main floor. It is probably about a 20-30ft run. The one room is not above the other.

What kind of cable should I run, and what kind of jacks should I have? I know there are a few options, but what is the best at a reasonable cost.

The wiring is to connect my computer, which will be on the second floor, to the television on the main floor. So there must be some existing adapter to get sound and video from the computer to the wall, and from the wall to RCA jacks for the TV (old TV, no digital).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-04, 06:28 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If composite video is ok (just the RCA jack video) then you can just run 3 coax. You don't have to have hi-band coax (like RG6), RG-59 will do just fine.

You'll use one for Video, one for Audio Rt, and one for Audio Lt (just like on the back of your TV.)

Let us know when you are ready to trim-out the plates and I'll tell you how you're going to do that.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-05, 07:01 AM
RLLD
Visiting Guest
Planning

I want to employ this technology as well.

I think I understand your statements, and I am sure I would understand the directions that come with the hardware.

I want to run CCTV at all door entrances, and also out in the kids treehouse, and one pointing at the playset out back etc....

I would like to be able to say hit Video1 on any TV and bring up the cameras, either all in one screen or one by one etc....

Hopefully this is possible to some degree..

Old 03-01-05, 01:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anything is possible with the right amount of money. Read up on video distribution and video modulators. Your essentially taking signal from the video source and modulating it to an unused TV channel. Then any TV in the house can view that channel and see video source. This can become expensive quickly depending on the number of video sources and cameras.