Intercom noise

Old 12-20-04, 01:43 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intercom noise

I hope I am in the correct forum.

I installed an intercom system in my home. the system is Nutone IM-5000 Home Intercom System. I have about 7 indoor units and 1 out door unit. I noticed at night when the house is quiet, that the intercom units make a buzzing/humming sound. The sound gets louder if I raise the volume. The system works fine. I was wondering if the bussing/humming sound is normal? If not what causes it and how can i fix it. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-04, 09:34 PM
D
I wasn't able to get much

from the manufacturer's web site. My best advice would be to check and make sure that all the wires and connections are tight. I wasn't able to find out how the master unit gets it's power, but if it's a transformer, try moving it to another outlet if possible.

If you're hearing it on just a couple of stations, then it may be something in those stations. If it's all of them, then it's probably the master unit. Is there a ground terminal on the master unit that isn't connected?

My last idea is that it may be coming in over the wiring, which may have no solution.....maybe try a section of shielded cable and see if it goes away for that station?

Call the technical support line/ customer service and see if they have any ideas????

This may be one of those problems that you might just have to live with. It's possible that there's no practical solution.

Last edited by Desy2820; 12-22-04 at 09:35 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 12-26-04, 08:36 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it possible that you do not have shielded cable running your stations? Many manufacturers <i>require</i> that you use their proprietary cable specifically for this problem.

If you just have Cat5 or Cat5e cabling, then it's probably interference from the AC in the house.

It could also be the Master unit, but I would be more inclined to the cabling.

Good luck!