Interested in Home Automation

Old 01-22-05, 08:52 PM
Interested in Home Automation

Hi,

I am new to home automation and have been interested in home automation for quite a while now. I am wanting to get into the voice automation end of it. I am familiar with the x10 devices and the leviton brand as well. I have been reading about HAL2000 and have been wondering if that is a good program or if there is a better program out on the market. I want to be able to monitor a security system on it as well. The Basic and Deluxe versions of HAL don't support security monitoring.

Thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-05, 01:20 PM
New to Home Automation

Hi,

I have heard about this for about 8 years and am interested. I want to get a basic idea of what kind of computer I would need to run the home automation software. I am also interested in getting into voice automation later.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 01-24-05, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, this all depends on what you want to do. If you want just basic automation (turning on/off lights, setting up lighting scenes, even turn on/off appliances and audio/video control) you don't necessarily need a computer or any software - just the products and their controllers.

If you want to do more advanced programming (like IF/THEN programming) or advanced controls (internet, networked, wireless, etc.) then you'll have to connect the automation hardware to the ethernet or local computer.

Tell us what kind of automation you want to do and we'll give you some products to look at.

Good luck!

Old 01-31-05, 11:02 AM
homeautomation
Visiting Guest
home automation for beginners

The X10 activehome pro is great entry-level home automation kit. It is super-easy to set up, and can easily be built upon as you grow and learn more. As for voice activation, I haven't got there yet - I still think there are too many bugs.
* Edited - sorry, no advertising *

Last edited by SafeWatch; 01-31-05 at 11:41 AM. Reason: NO ADVERTISING
Old 01-31-05, 11:06 AM
homeautomation
Visiting Guest
computer

I recommend a computer running windows xp pro to control your home automation system. Although, I am a biased windows user. I have heard success stories of people using Apple and Linux to control their systems. For a beginner, I would always recommend windows as the learning curve is much easier.
Windows xp professional with atleast 128 mb of RAM.

Old 06-09-05, 11:10 AM
twopiece
Visiting Guest
I like the IF/THEN option

Originally Posted by SafeWatch
Well, this all depends on what you want to do. If you want just basic automation (turning on/off lights, setting up lighting scenes, even turn on/off appliances and audio/video control) you don't necessarily need a computer or any software - just the products and their controllers.

If you want to do more advanced programming (like IF/THEN programming) or advanced controls (internet, networked, wireless, etc.) then you'll have to connect the automation hardware to the ethernet or local computer.

Tell us what kind of automation you want to do and we'll give you some products to look at.

Good luck!
I'm running OSX Tiger and so far it seems I need the Indigo software. That's about it. I want to eventually go beyond just simple X10 on/off commands and look into an active automation system(IF/THEN) I DO NOT want to run any wires, except on my desktop to the master controller/interface. Is there a system that can utilize my existing 802.XX wi-fi to control each units? I'm looking to setup some type of controller connected to my MAC, via USB or serial to the controller and communicate wirelesly to ALL other units (i.e. lights, fans, AV units etc.) If too expensive, other wireless and less expensive radio setup would be fine. So, here I am. What brand of controller/interface do you recommend I get to start this adventure? This all started last night when my HVAC unit on the 3rd floor leaked out and soaked the floor. I then went online and purchased a water sensor and next thing you know, I got sucked into all the automation bug

Thanks,

Old 06-16-05, 08:30 PM
Brett_Griffin
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by cdawley4
Hi,

I am new to home automation and have been interested in home automation for quite a while now. I am wanting to get into the voice automation end of it. I am familiar with the x10 devices and the leviton brand as well. I have been reading about HAL2000 and have been wondering if that is a good program or if there is a better program out on the market. I want to be able to monitor a security system on it as well. The Basic and Deluxe versions of HAL don't support security monitoring.

Thanks,

Chris
HAL 200 is a great Voice Automation program, and is very feature rich. I have used their software on and off over the years. The problem with HAL is integrating it in the hoe is costly for daily comfortable use of the software. It requires using microphones placed through out the home, and a gating mixer to block out other mics when speaking to one mic. To do 4 mics in the home will run you around $1500, for the hardware alone. However when it comes to Voice Reognition, there is no better product, and I am not aware of any other products. They work extremely well at noisy tradeshow, they will work well in your home.

I would also look at HAI, www.homeauto.com, they have a great line of controllers that work with HAL2000. It is a great mix of products to automate your home. It would integrate very well with your existing x-10 based lighting products and the programming is not very difficult.

~brett