X10 Question

Old 02-13-05, 02:06 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
X10 Question

I work in the residential electrical field, but I wire mainly cheap houses, and the few expensive ones I get to wire have a seperate sub for wiring the low voltage. Thus, I must experiment with home automation on my own.

I understand the concept of X10 fairly well, but I need to know if you can control a device from multiple sources. For example if I had an X10 wall switch and turned a device "on", could I go over to an X10 remote and turn the same device "off", or will they conflict? I assume that they wouldn't, but I need to know before I invest in anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-05, 02:05 PM
Garou,

Howdy...Yes you can do that but you need the right X-10 module for it.

Bascially you have to get 3-way ready X-10 switches and it will allow you to actually do 2,3, 4 and 5 locations if you so desire from a set of the same amount of switches.

When you automate these systems you will need one master switch and a multi-way companion switch but yes you can do what you are asking.

Most of the SmartHome models are 3-way compliant...dont need to be 4 way and so on...just a master and compliant 3-way ready units will get you all set up.

If you need to know of a source for more information just drop me a PM or a e-mail and I will connect you with a good resource site....I dont like to post lnks in messages due to my hosting days....just dont like um...

Good luck and X-10 away...you would be surprised the market for it these days...you do all the hard work...and then someone comes in and gets top dollar just to put in those units....amazing...which is why we offer them and do them as well.

Hope this helps.....

Old 03-03-05, 08:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ElectricalMan... "what"?... you don't need special X10 controls to turn on and turn off X10 units... the code determines what comes on and what goes off, no matter where the controller is located... you can have 40 controllers to control one light.. if you press that code from any one of the controllers set to that code, the light will go on or off... the light switches with the remote (for 3 way or more) switching are only used on the same circuit as the controlled load.. you can use the remote switches that just use the electric wiring to send the code.. that way it can be located anywhere you'd like...