Integrating Media Server with Niles Multizone Audio

Old 03-30-05, 08:19 AM
DaMutha
Visiting Guest
Integrating Media Server with Niles Multizone Audio

I am in the process of building a new home, and through Tweeter I am getting the Niles ZR-4630 multizone receiver, which covers 6 zones. I would very much like to integrate Mp3 playback into this system, but neither I nor the sales rep from Tweeter are sure if it's possible to do it effectively. What I have in mind is having a central media server somewhere other than the audio center--e.g. in the office. I would like to connect this server to a bridge (like Roku) located in the audio center (via ethernet), and be able to control the bridge from the keypads in the 6 zones. Does anyone know of a set-up that would allow this?

If it's really not possible, I suppose an alternative might be an audio server located with the audio equipment. Any suggestions on that?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-05, 09:24 PM
bluecube
Visiting Guest
I've not used the Roku before, but I've done that type of setup with the Turtle Beach Audiotron. Works like a charm just like any other IR controlled device. Audiotron allowed playlists which simplified the control a little bit, since your Niles keypads won't give any kind of feedback or display the mp3 titles that are playing.

An actual audio server like Escient Fireball will be a little easier to use, since it has an nice onscreen guide that could be sent to your tv's so you could navigate your collection graphically.

Linksys just came out with a box that has a video output which could be sent to your tv's too. It works as you described the Roku, but also will stream other media files like movies and pictures.

hope this helps