...low cost X10 starter kit?

Old 04-23-05, 09:55 AM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Question ...low cost X10 starter kit?

I am looking for a good entry level (low cost) x10 starter kit.

I would like to be able to turn on/off several lights with a remote and it would be a bonus to be able to turn on/off set timers ect. by PC but it is not a necessity.

I mainly want to be able to turn on/off (possibly dim) lights with a remote.

Something like this http://www.freewireusa.com/FW3000.htm but with a hardwired solution

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by rUfUnKy; 04-23-05 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-05, 03:23 AM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Arrow What is the best bang for your buck X10 Transceiver Module?

Since no one responded to my first thread, I figured I would see how much it would cost to build a x10 home automation by buying each piece individually.

That Leeds me to this question. What is the best bang for your buck X10 Transceiver Module? I want it to reach around 150 ' in distance.

Thank you

Old 04-27-05, 05:32 PM
kw0
I used the X-10 TM751 for 5 years but let it go when I moved. It is inexpensive, worked well, but probably won't reach the 150' you need. Stay away from the new ActiveHome Pro. Unfortunately this one was released too soon and has several issues. I ended up returning mine. I have found the V572 RF Whole House Transceiver to work flawless. It is about $70 and can receive all 16 house codes. It does require an X-10 PSC05 serial-to-powerline (about $20) to work but some places sell the two bundled. It includes a coax cable and antenna. I finally mounted the antenna but even with the cable rolled on the floor and the antenna also on the floor it worked 100% of the time anywhere in my 2500 sqft house. Even outside and in the garage. Costs a bit more but well worth it.

Old 04-28-05, 08:14 AM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by kw0
I used the X-10 TM751 for 5 years but let it go when I moved. It is inexpensive, worked well, but probably won't reach the 150' you need. Stay away from the new ActiveHome Pro. Unfortunately this one was released too soon and has several issues. I ended up returning mine. I have found the V572 RF Whole House Transceiver to work flawless. It is about $70 and can receive all 16 house codes. It does require an X-10 PSC05 serial-to-powerline (about $20) to work but some places sell the two bundled. It includes a coax cable and antenna. I finally mounted the antenna but even with the cable rolled on the floor and the antenna also on the floor it worked 100% of the time anywhere in my 2500 sqft house. Even outside and in the garage. Costs a bit more but well worth it.
Great, thanks for the feed back...

This is just what I was looking for but two questions..What exactly is the PSC05 serial-to-powerline for?

If you need it why do they sell the
V572 RF Whole House Transceiver without it?

Thanks again

Old 04-28-05, 04:15 PM
kw0
The V572 is manufactured by wgldesigns. Their device receives X-10 RF signals and converts them to RS-232 (serial). The PSC05 is manufactured by X-10 and converts the RS-232 to powerline X-10 signals. The PSC05 makes it easier for wgldesigns because they don't have to build the part that send's X-10 signals on the powerline. Some vendors do sell the two together in a bundle.

Old 04-28-05, 04:54 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Thanks a bunch for the info kw0! I just ordered my stuf tonight.

30021 V572AB Whole House Transceiver 1 @ $79.99

WS4777 Wall Switch Module & Companion 1 @ $12.99

HR12A Palm Pad Controller 1 @ $6.29

KR19A SlimFire Keychain remote 2 @ $6.49

WS467 Wall Switch Module 5 @ $5.99

Subtotal: $142.20
Shipping cost: $6.90

Total: $149.10

I'm on my way to becoming a x-10 junkie!

Old 04-28-05, 06:30 PM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Question

Originally Posted by kw0
The V572 is manufactured by wgldesigns. Their device receives X-10 RF signals and converts them to RS-232 (serial).
I'm still a little confused about this so bare with me ..

Does this mean that the V572 is meant to hook through your PC serial bus? If so, can I control x-10 receivers with my PC with the proper software?

Old 04-30-05, 03:54 AM
kw0
Originally Posted by rUfUnKy
I'm still a little confused about this so bare with me ..

Does this mean that the V572 is meant to hook through your PC serial bus? If so, can I control x-10 receivers with my PC with the proper software?

The V572 requires no computer (other then to turn off some house codes if you want which is a one time thing). The PSC05 included in you V572AB could be used to send and receive X-10 signals from your PC by writing or buying sofware, but then the V572 would not work because it would be plugged into your PC and not the V572.

With the items you purchased you can enjoy remote control lighting. If you want timers and such I would reccommend the 1132CU or 1132CUP from smarthome.com. It includes software to create macros and timers. You then download the program to the 1132CU and the computer is not needed unless you want to change something.

Also, speaking from experience, you may want to add a phase coupler. The standard house has 2 legs of power. Depending on the size of the house, if the transmitter is on one leg and the receiver is on the other leg the signal may not reliabily get there. The coupler plugs into the dryer outlet (the dryer is 220V and uses both legs) and can bridge the path so that X-10 can travel. My 1000 sqft has had no problems. My 2000 sqft had a few issues. My 2500 sqft had several. I actually added an amplified coupler and now it is 100% reliable.

You indicated you wanted a low cost solution in your first post. Enjoy your purchase for now and you can always add the last two items if needed at a later time. I have been expanding my basic X-10 system for about 9 years.

Old 04-30-05, 08:48 AM
rUfUnKy
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much Kw0, I realy appreciate you taking the time to explain all of this.

Old 07-27-05, 11:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbs down No Ads Or Advertisements Allowed!...Read The Rules

If anyone interested in an additional 10% Rebate for your already low price purchases at xxxxxxx, don't forget to visit this site:

http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx/index.htm

In order for the rebate to work, you need to use the links on this site to get to xxxxxxxxxxx.com. Rebates don't apply third party products and software.

Ads, Advertisements or Pyramid Schemes Are Not Allowed In The Forum Topics.

Forum Monitors Notes:
Member Banned for advertising.
The thread has been edited.

Advertisements within the forum topics or within replies posted or within personal signatures or including email addresses within replies or signatures is not allowed on this web site. Surveys, Ads, Advertisements, Solicitations to market products, services or to hire person(s) to perform work is not allowed in any forum topics.

Posting email addresses for others to contact to obtain information or to market products or directing anyone to personal web sites which can market products or solicit services, etc are not allowed. There Are No Exceptions.

Members posting any of the above or similar, anywhere on the web site are doing so in violations to the policy and are subjected to suspension or banning.

No topics are to be used for personal gain using any method. Allowing any of the above degrades the entire web site for all concerned parties.

Sincerely, Robert Horning & Bob Rodrick
Web Site Administrators.
Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 07-28-05 at 05:36 AM. Reason: No Ads Or Advertisements Allowed!...Read The Rules
Old 07-28-05, 04:41 AM
Mdinh,

Do you REALLY want to post here or lose your account. Please read the rules about advertising as if you are so desprate to advetise your business I suggest contacting DIY and running a REAL ad.

We have rules here for the forum and I have forwarded your posts to the admin of this specific forum.